331 or 351w-s/c?

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
Ive been long planning a 331 build, and actually think I might start a build soon-as a winter project kind of thing.

Anyways, I was thinking a 331 low compression, h/c/i and then I already have a brand new paxton 1200 kit ready to go.

However, after thinking about it more and talking to some ford guys at work, been looking at the pros of a 351w. Seems like theres a lot of pros as far as block strength and the fact I havent started getting any other bolt ons for the 302,etc yet minus the s/c and bbk headers,magna x.

Which brings me to my first question: Can my paxton sl 1200 be bolted up to the 351W? is there a bracket kit for this? Just use a longer belt?

Secondly: Do you think its just easier to do the 331? I want to remain efi, reliable daily driven,etc.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd suggest calling or emailing paxton. The do not make a bracket that fits. You'll have to modify the bracket that comes in the 302 kit to fit. Here's a response from a tech at paxton when I asked the same question:

"The three bolts that mount to the head will fit fine. The problem is on lowest mount point to the block. The bracket will not line up to the block. You will need to extend the bracket about 1.6 inches. I have not done this myself, but have heard from customers that it was no big deal. Also, you will need a longer belt."

Hope this helps. Good luck. :nice: