345ci Nitrous'd Notchback Progress Thread

• Sponsors (?)

so heres an update....

i took a vacation last week to get the car running... ha nice ty, i had every problem under the sun and i tried to drive it tonight, but its leaking either oil or power steering fluid. i'd post some pics of the car together but im too pissed off at the car

i may just set it on fire tommorow:bang:

I covered my face with the "threw a rod" post.... don't do that to me!

What's up with the strange stroke? Nascar crank? What about the rods? Strange rod length... Trying to do a long-rod setup or did you just get a good deal on them?

What bore and compression? What rpm are you running it too. Those heads and intake will want north of 7000 rpm.... maybe even up to 8k. What cams specs did you go with?

If it's leaking oil, wouldn't it pretty much have to be coming from the lower intake seal since you had a dual-plane on the dyno?

Chris

What's up with the strange stroke? Nascar crank? What about the rods? Strange rod length... Trying to do a long-rod setup or did you just get a good deal on them?

nah wasnt my ideal setup, but i got a pretty sweet deal out of it, and the stuff is practically bomb proof, and i bought it thinking that is was 9.7:1 cr but it turned out to be 10.7:1. originally i was gonna do a turbo or an F1R procharger, but whenever i get the cash i'm just gonna through a couple of stages of juice on it.

What bore and compression? What rpm are you running it too. Those heads and intake will want north of 7000 rpm.... maybe even up to 8k. What cams specs did you go with?

i put a hydraulic roller in it, gonna be revving it to 6500 max, i may switch to a solid cam, with a solid cam the motor would peak around 7500 with my current setup. i also had to take the box intake off and put a regular R upper with a 90mm TB opening. and the cam is a comp 282xr i believe.

If it's leaking oil, wouldn't it pretty much have to be coming from the lower intake seal since you had a dual-plane on the dyno?

this is kind of a long story but originally i had the car together last sunday, i fired it up and set the timing and drove it last monday, it was leaking coolant and oil out of the upper intake. I called PK machine(the shop that dynoed the motor, Paul best guy around if you need a moor built), and Paul told me that he usually has to mill .060'' off of each side of the R intake to get it to align correctly with the water jackets.

So i milled the intake and when i fired the car up last night and i tried to drive it there was some kind of fliud leaking on the headers and smoking like a mofo. i thought it was oil from mabye the intake again, but it was too dark to see anything, i checked it out today after work and its just the power steering rack leaking. i also drained the oil to be positive that the water jackets on the intake were sealed. so basically its been a pretty frustrating week wiith the car

This is a progress thread. Let's keep it on topic, please.

i didn't know we had a talk nazi cracking the whip on progress threads these days... here is some progress for ya

K- member completed

Front suspension setup, even with the springs adjusted all the way down the car isnt THAT low, not what i expected but im happy with the stance, it tucks the fronts nicely

here is the motor getting ready on the dyno

Kind of hard to see, but here is the lifter valley contaminated with coolant

And here is the motor, completely assembled

Also some video, the still have to be processed as i just uploaded them, so be patient
Motor idling on dyno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D6b6qK0YGU

Motor on dyno, pulling to 6800, with a little valve float after 6500
YouTube - 345 small block ford on the dyno

Startup and revving to about 5k
YouTube - 345 cubic inch small block ford idle and rev.

ok so its been a while since i updated this...

I put a digital 6 box in the car, and ditched the power steering for a manual rack, which were two things that are worth their weight in gold in my opinion. The car now weighs 2960 without me in it

the car absolutely rediculous on the street, so much fun to drive, and i will say that this motor is stronger and going to be faster than my 302/novi2000 setup(that made 480 RWHP). it wont make as much peak power but it makes up for it everywhere else.

i also dynoed the car last night, it was kind of a rollercoaster of a night, first pull made good power, then one of the straps BROKE... thank god for chalk blocks, then it made MORE power, but the timing wasnt consistent, so we pulled the dist. and found that the cam gear was eating the distributor gear and im glad we caught it before all hell broke loose in the oil pan... so im gonna buy a billet piece and see what the car will really do with some tuning.

All numbers are with the car wanting more timing and the A/F at 10.5-10.9 at WOT.
Like my tuner said "THIS CAR IS GONNA SCREWW" haha i can wait to drive it

I thought you are supposed to use bronze or composit gears with the hardened cam? But yeah, good thing you caught that. They will eat thoes cast gears in no time :notnice:

I thought you are supposed to use bronze or composit gears with the hardened cam? But yeah, good thing you caught that. They will eat thoes cast gears in no time :notnice:

Yea it was one of those little details i missed and it would have been a big deal if i didnt find it... they also make a phenolic gear that im going to look into, i will be calling comp cams first thing monday to find out which gear they recommend

Yea it was one of those little details i missed and it would have been a big deal if i didnt find it... they also make a phenolic gear that im going to look into, i will be calling comp cams first thing monday to find out which gear they recommend

I put a Billet MSD(with the gear that MSD supplied) in the car and it didnt make anymore power, final numbers were 388 hp and 390 tq i believe, i will post the sheet after im out of class. drove the car home tonight... feels great, fastest all motor car ive driven

going to the track saturday(hopefully)

I was shocked when i was given the first slip and i ran 120 MPH, the run started off pretty terribe with alot of tire shake, and the track was pretty cold and not prepped very well... counldnt get the car to hook, so the next round of work is gonna be suspension stuff.

NEW GOAL- High 10's on the motor :flag:

this motor has impressed me so much over the last 2 weeks, those trick flow heads are INCREDIBLE. Go buy a pair, you wont regret it

The car is tarped for the winter seeing as i dont have a garage. The winter plan is getting a 10pt cage in the car along with through the floor subframes which will fix my tq box situation... will have pics as soon as progress is made