351/302 swap into mercedes 90+ 500sl / 560sl ???

Sort of a long post here..
Im looking at buying a early 90's sl500 (luv the stang, but need 2nd car for buisness trips) I plan on finding one with a blown engine, In hopes of doing a motor swap to either a ford SBF 5.0 or SBF 351w (94+ roller casting) I was just curious if anyone had done this swap before, and if so what problems do people frequently run into? I love the looks and style of a mercedes, But I will refuse to use whatever engine mercedes provides, if for no other reason but that the cost of repairs would be high for little parts. I already have both engine I mentioned ready to drop, the only difference between the 2 being the 351 with a larger width and slightly taller height. I would also plan on dropping in a T5 trans, So unless there were some 5spd benz made, I plan on alot of fabrications along the pedal assembly, and especially with driveshaft/rearend. I know as far as fitting the engine in there, It shouldnt be a issue, aside from maybe some header clearencing and so forth, after all- the v12 was a much larger engine than the 351w.
Anyways, any experts please get back to me, and thanks for the support!
Thanks again.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like one hell of a project. One that I wouldn't tackle but I'd love to see the result when you're finished. Michael Yount did what you're talking about with a Volvo. He may be able to give you some tips. Good Luck.

Contact Ross Converse at www.converseengineering.com - you probably have the contact from when you were thinking about dropping a V8 in a Volvo, if I recall correctly. He's making kits to put 5.0's in the older W123 Mercedes body style (prominent midsize sedan from the 80's - lots of em with diesels - 240's and 300's). He can probably give you some tips on what you're up against.

It will probably physically fit, but to make it nice, you've got to merge power steering, cruise and a/c systems - do-able, but all have to be fabricated. Don't know if the benz power steering system is compatible (I think that model benz still had recirculating ball steering box). You'll have to go to Europe to get the clutch pedal ass'y to put a manual in --MUCH better to swap in the automatic in that car - the console would also have to be cut up for the shifter.

Any swap is pretty tough - lots of work to do one right. The Volvo is pretty easy as they go as all the big bits fit and the accessories can be made to work together. You better plan a long time and big wallet to swap the V8 into the Benz. And I wouldn't consider anything smaller than the 351 - the style you're talking about weighs at least 4500 lbs.

As for saving money - the rest of the stuff (non-engine/tranny) will eat you alive on cost too. You're not saving much by getting American iron into a 15 year old big benz.

Lastly, you kill any resale. Clean old benz's actually hold their value pretty well.

If you want a reasonably priced nice touring car, pick up a mid-90's Lexus. Dead reliable, great highway cars, and reasonably priced.