351 c 2v to 4v head swap?

black95gts5.0

Jun 16, 2005
I have a running 351 cleveland 2bbl out of a 73 rideau 500 and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of compression that motor would have? (low I know) and if I put open chamber 4 bbl heads on this motor what would I have for compression? I would most likely cam it at the same time. would this be worth it or should I just build a proper bottom end? I am on a budget and a bit of a time crunch. thanks for taking the time.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got that same engine! I also have a stock 4V intake manifold lying around that I would sell to you real cheap if you want it. It will need to be resurfaced though, let me know if you want any pictures. Good luck with the swap and I can't wait to see how it works out.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the open chamber heads were much less prone to detonation, even with a domed piston, and the comb chamber shape was better for a more complete fuel burn. I dont know how much it costs to get the heads milled but If there was ever a possibility of putting it back the way it was, you wont want to mill the heads, other wise it would be much easier if you weren't doing a complete rebuild to just pull the heads and take them to the shop. If you already have it apart, I might lean towards changing pistons. Just my worthless $.02.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the open chamber heads were much less prone to detonation, even with a domed piston, and the comb chamber shape was better for a more complete fuel burn. I dont know how much it costs to get the heads milled but If there was ever a possibility of putting it back the way it was, you wont want to mill the heads, other wise it would be much easier if you weren't doing a complete rebuild to just pull the heads and take them to the shop. If you already have it apart, I might lean towards changing pistons. Just my worthless $.02.

Your memory is failing you. 4v closed chamber heads are more ping resistant because of the dove shape compression chamber in the cylinder head which means with the closed chamber you can get away with a little more compression all other things being equal.

The American 2v are all open chamber, you can get an Aussie 2v with the dove chamber which would bump the compression in the motor.

Regarding pistons versus head changing...the answer is "depends"

How much money you got, what you using the car for, and what is the performance goal you are trying to reach?

Your memory is failing you. 4v closed chamber heads are more ping resistant because of the dove shape compression chamber in the cylinder head which means with the closed chamber you can get away with a little more compression all other things being equal.

The American 2v are all open chamber, you can get an Aussie 2v with the dove chamber which would bump the compression in the motor.

Regarding pistons versus head changing...the answer is "depends"

How much money you got, what you using the car for, and what is the performance goal you are trying to reach?

:nice: best steel cleveland heads for street use!

:D +2 on your memory failing you. Quench heads are what you want for ping resistence. The quench portion of the head tends to put out the fires of detonation. I built a 400 with milled open chamber heads and with only a 9.7 to 1 comp ratio, it wanted only 93 octane fuel to control the ping where a quench headed 390 with a 10.25 to 1 ratio gladly accepted 89 octane fuel.