351 stroker

• Sponsors (?)

Swap Headers, new oil pan and pickup, most likely a new hood, unless you want to do a bunch of other more invlovled things like k-member and such. New intake manifold, either a new or moded midpipe, probably a new tranny. New injector rails. I hear aftermarket 302 headers will work, but i didnt try, i traded my shorties and x-pipe, for a set of 351 specific longtubes and matching h-pipe. My friend that i got some of this from has a mach one hood and the top of his trickflow intake rubs on it and made this nasty little spot in it. Just somethin to think about, i cant really remember off the top of my head what all you need even tho i am finishing my swap and starting up the suspension part of my build.

fiveohGT said:
What's involved in swaping a 351 stroker into a 5.0?

Alot.

But a short run down;you will need 351W of course,fox spec pan,oil pick up for that pan,you can re-use your motor mounts but I suggest you get solid mounts there not bad and the dont twist and rip like rubber/poly.Headers (deffinitly long tubes),intake,in some cases exhaust,depending on flexpalte/flywheel (157 or 164 tooth) differant bell housing.I believe that there is a bracket you need for AC,I dont know I dont have AC :D .If your gonna use a serp. belt you need a pulley spacer for the crank pulley,and just some minor stuff you need for the motor any how.

fiveohGT said:
What's involved in swaping a 351 stroker into a 5.0?

There are options for just about everything that has been mentioned above.
I believe headers are a must due to the extra width of the 351. I think stock 302 headers will put the flange into the tunnel/firewall.
Best bet for the belt is to use stock 5.0 serpentine brackets/belt with the mentioned ac/ps bracket from Ford.
Stock 302 mounts will work and can clear the stock hood, if the upper intake is shortened. I am using stock height poyurethane mounts with my stroker for about 4500 miles with no problems. Solid mounts will transfer mucho vibration to the chassis.
There are drop mounts which lower the motor for hood clearance, but they are solid and most high volume aftermarket pans will not clear the k-member with drop mounts.
Since the 351 is taller/wider a lower intake is required. There are several options that will allow the use of stock/aftermarket upper intakes with the 351 lower though.

There are a ton of options listed in previous threads, so a search should be pretty informative.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me

jason

Displacement - 375cui
Block type - 302cui
Deck Hieght (in) - 8.200
Bore (in) - 4.125
Stroke (in) - 3.500
(note: this is done using a 302 "C" block which uses a 351 mounting position for the pump/distributor.)

-or-

Displacement - 460
Block type - 351cui
Deck Hieght (in) - 9.500
Bore (in) - 4.155
Stroke (in) - 4.250

both cases:
*Theres a notch at the bottom of each cylinder which will give the rods room to turn
*splayed four bolt mains with billet steel caps
*4340-forged Eagle Crankshaft and H-beam rods
*Low compression forged pistons (for my twin turbo *idea*)
*heavy-duty main cap fasteners

when you say 351 stroker... i think u mean 351 windsor, but if u mean a 302 based stroker for example a 331 or 347 then you could re-use all the parts off the 302 like pan , intake etc..

True....i just want to make sure no surprises are thrown at me. That the accessories will all bolt up from my 302 (not a/c or smog) and that my current tranny will work. As for hood clearence i have a 3inch cobra r svo. What heads/intake/cam should I be considering though if I plan on going low compression with a power adder? Will i have to change anything in the computer? will mass air still work? what size injectors will i need?

It's all just so much to consider but I don't really know where to go for the answers.

transmission should bolt up, research you head and intake combo that you want to use, i used afr 185 and the trick flow r intakes for the 351, and i used 36 lb injectors with the appropriat mass air/ calibrated for them, computer with work just fine need a tune afterword of course, and you do have to change some fornt accessories, I have my complete list at home i can email you tommorow if you want. stuck at work currently.

all the accesories will from a 5.0 should still bolt up to a 351....i dont think you can stroke a 302 out to a 375.... i almost built a 362 stroker by accident...the company sent me a 342 crank, 331 rods and pistons....the pistons were sticking up out of the deck....

fiveohGT said:
It sounds like a pretty extensive swap....maybe ill just go with a 302 stroked/bored out to 375

To do that you need a Dart or World Products aftermarket engine block. OEM 302/5.0 Ford black will support a max of around 347 inches. Lunati makes a kit that goes to 355 inches, but very few people use it. It has a stroke of 3.47' versus the common 3.40" stroke that all "347" stroker 302's use.

As for the actual swap it's very simple. The details are in the parts you choose for your engine. If you are building a totall custom stroked 302 or 351 the difference in cost and involvement will be minimal IMO.

Specialized parts are actually very few if you don't fall prey to the mentality that a 351 takes a"special" distributor over a 302. It's not special, it's just different. Different engine, different part. It's that simple. You only need two special parts if you want to swap ina 351. You need the Fox style oil pan and swap headers. Since you aren't going to run A/C and Smog and P/S, everythign else is just evaluating what part is right for the intended application. They aren't "special" though.

The Fox swap oil pan is just a Police SSP (Special Service Package) part.

tjm73 said:
To do that you need a Dart or World Products aftermarket engine block. OEM 302/5.0 Ford black will support a max of around 347 inches. Lunati makes a kit that goes to 355 inches, but very few people use it. It has a stroke of 3.47' versus the common 3.40" stroke that all "347" stroker 302's use.

As for the actual swap it's very simple. The details are in the parts you choose for your engine. If you are building a totall custom stroked 302 or 351 the difference in cost and involvement will be minimal IMO.

Specialized parts are actually very few if you don't fall prey to the mentality that a 351 takes a"special" distributor over a 302. It's not special, it's just different. Different engine, different part. It's that simple. You only need two special parts if you want to swap ina 351. You need the Fox style oil pan and swap headers. Since you aren't going to run A/C and Smog and P/S, everythign else is just evaluating what part is right for the intended application. They aren't "special" though.

The Fox swap oil pan is just a Police SSP (Special Service Package) part.
a 302R block will go .125 over as well

AFter I did my 351w swap using a junk yard short block and ordering all the other swap parts new, I figured I could have done the swap in the 1500-$2000 range, which included $850 for the used block. Could be done for less with the use of ebay and other scrounging.
Stroking a 302 out the way you are talking will require spending that much on an aftermarket 302 block alone.

The swap is not that hard it just takes planning, and a clear definition of your objectives.

Wish you luck whatever path you choose,
jason