351 windsor swap?

lukerat

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
columbus, oh
Got another question guys. I have the stang on lease, but I plan on buying it because the miles are so high already, and when i turn it in I would take a serious hit on the mileage. it has 65000 miles on it already and ive only had it for 2 1/2 years, on a 5 year lease. I plan on buying it, because the body is perfect, suspension and everything, but the engine is probably gonna be up in the 200000 mile range or more by the time I have it bought, if it lasts that long. How feasible would a 351 windsor swap be into my 2000 gt manual? I wanna go up in engine size, but I dont know what will work. Also, i am doing some exhaust work right now, and I have a magnaflow o/r x pipe and I wanna get magnapacks before the spring. If I do the swap could I keep the exhaust parts I have so far? could I get some headers for the 351W that would be compatible to the bolt patterns for the x pipe? Thanks for your input!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, for a swap like that, the exhaust is the least of your worries. You'll need an aftermarket K-member or figure out how to mount the bigger engine, plus a new tranny. Also forget the factory computer if you're gonna keep it EFI.

you are going to have a ton of problems if you try to keep it EFI. now if you don't mind a carburated car that makes it a little easier. but why not order a longblock like the 324 modular that VtEngines has. it would be a lot easier to do & you would get a good hp increase. plus you could use your old exhaust too :nice:

lukerat said:
Got another question guys. I have the stang on lease, but I plan on buying it because the miles are so high already, and when i turn it in I would take a serious hit on the mileage. it has 65000 miles on it already and ive only had it for 2 1/2 years, on a 5 year lease. I plan on buying it, because the body is perfect, suspension and everything, but the engine is probably gonna be up in the 200000 mile range or more by the time I have it bought, if it lasts that long. How feasible would a 351 windsor swap be into my 2000 gt manual? I wanna go up in engine size, but I dont know what will work. Also, i am doing some exhaust work right now, and I have a magnaflow o/r x pipe and I wanna get magnapacks before the spring. If I do the swap could I keep the exhaust parts I have so far? could I get some headers for the 351W that would be compatible to the bolt patterns for the x pipe? Thanks for your input!

I think you have a lot less headaches if you rebuild the current engine with a stroker kit and forged internals. I would go with a 298 for stroke. Add .03 bore and you got a 302 (5.0 L). Then you are ready to stay N/A or forced induction.. My .02cents

Fast Eddie 2k1 said:
I think you have a lot less headaches if you rebuild the current engine with a stroker kit and forged internals. I would go with a 298 for stroke. Add .03 bore and you got a 302 (5.0 L). Then you are ready to stay N/A or forced induction.. My .02cents

I'd go with this advise. Hell, some forged internals and a KB might be cheaper than a 351 swap. You'll get more power too.

Thanks alot for the info guys! I really appreciate your help, and I dont think I am going to try and do that after all. Will probably be more of a hinderance anyway, and I am kind of loyal to the modular motor anyway. I wanna stay modular, but would the 5.4 swap be more feasible? and how much could it be bored out? I also wanna explore other options, like the kenne bell route, but basically everything has to be upgraded when making that swap, above 400 hp right? Can the stock block take more than 400 hp? Im trying to soak in all this info...and get as much of it as I can. :nice:

I was under the impression that if the engine went everything needed to be replaced, that it was pretty much done. See, im still learning, guys. But you learn by asking questions...so I thought that I would have to take the whole thing out anyway, and I thought i might as well go bigger...but if i could keep the stock short block, go with forged internals and beef it up from there, that could be an idea.

Quote:I think you have a lot less headaches if you rebuild the current engine with a stroker kit and forged internals. I would go with a 298 for stroke. Add .03 bore and you got a 302 (5.0 L). Then you are ready to stay N/A or forced induction.. My .02cents :quote

If I did this could they use my stock block? would it be strong enough?and could that setup work with the kenne belle sc?

lukerat said:
Quote:I think you have a lot less headaches if you rebuild the current engine with a stroker kit and forged internals. I would go with a 298 for stroke. Add .03 bore and you got a 302 (5.0 L). Then you are ready to stay N/A or forced induction.. My .02cents :quote

If I did this could they use my stock block? would it be strong enough?and could that setup work with the kenne belle sc?

yeah, you can use the stock block :nice:

Thanks for the info. How many hp can the stock block handle? If i wanted to go with the stroker kit, how much would it cost (approx, of course, if any one has any ideas) and how would it stack up against just buying the kb? if i could get it up into the 300 hp range with the stroker that would be good for a while, but would it cost less than the supercharger? i am trying to decide which way to go. Either way I am going to end up rebuilding the engine id guess. its only a matter of when. Sorry for playing twenty questions... but i really appreciate the help!!

i would like to do both, eventually, but i wonder if the stroking would be worth it? where does everyone thing it would put me as far as hp/tq numbers? I would like to supercharge it too, eventually, so i was curious if anyone knew the max safe hp capabilities of the stock block? i dont wanna stroke it, get forged internals, then sc it and crack it, so if anyone has any info as usual i would appreciate it, along with answers to my other questions? Sorry to noob out, i am just curious :D

if i was you i would find a decently used 5.4 block outta a junk yard truck/van, forge the bottom end, buy a bullitt intake/p-51 intake/trickflow intake, get the custom built bracket that allows you to mount this intake onto the 5.4 block. Then, if you want more power still, add a vortec or some other centri. supercharger. Then you have the displacement you want, a much stronger block, and it can use the same exaust and trans that you have now. Its a much simpler engine swap then trying to go non-modular.
Mike