Roush 351?????

That makes sense

Thanks w.o.w.

Do you think you hurt the value of the car by adding mags and the carbon hood even if it's not on the window sticker?

I was asking if it could have been on the car. I talked to a shop who saw worked on the car when it had under 50mi and he remembers the carbon fiber hood. So I was wondering if that and the wheels could have been on the car.

I think the hood and the wheels would add value......My car is so modified that I'm not going for original anyway. That the way I like them.:D

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of HP did the 351's put out?

.....the stated value from Saleen were as follows:

S351 N/A = 371hp & 390tq (guessing on the torque but pretty close)
S351 Blown = 490hp & 495tq (except in 97 when they bumped the hp to 510)

....of course, the actual numbers varied per car. My speedster was an exception since it was a press car and Tony Johnson's personal west coast car. When I bought it from the 2nd owner (who bought it from Saleen), he had done zero modifications to it. So I was extremely surprised with my Dyno pull bone stock from Saleen =

470rwhp + 510rwtq with a bad clutch bouncing off the rev limiter at 5100rpm at 8psi of boost on a very hot day in Santee, CA!!

.....with that being said, my 95 with a rebuilt engine, upgraded fuel system and custom tune did 420rwhp + 440rwtq!

With the SCT chip is it a mail order or custom burned while the car is on the dyno. The only way to get a good max tune in on a dyno or if you have a stand alone DFI system that you can tune on the fly. My 96 put 540 rwhp and 550 rwtq at 7 lbs. This was also done in 92 degree heat.

Bill,

A bone stock 1995 R Code should make anywhere from 415-440 rwhp on a dynojet. Uncorrected the dynojet is a feel-good-liberal machine. That is on 92-93 octane with your boost retard knob turned up on the ragged edge of detonating and it probably will be even if you can't hear it. A healthy car with the purple pulley should be making at least 7-8 psi of boost.

Saleen had a "97 upgrade" as they called but actaully it was a fix from all of the engine failures they were experiencing with the 94-95 Vortech blown cars. It's the only way they could advertise those kind of crank hp nums back then. That being tuned on the ragged edge.

The 97 upgrade consited of removing the FMU,T-Rex inline fuel pump, replacing the fuel rails with Vortech fuel rails ( those are usually annodized blue or red ) , fuel pressure regulator on the rail, stainless fuel line, new in tank fuel pump, purging and drying out the charcoal canister from the return ( that's where the fuel smell comes from most of the time ) 47 lb. injectors and most importantly going OBD II ( lot's of pins ) comp. with a totally new tune. In 97 they were also known to add an Anderson powerpipe to increase the boost without changing the pulley or increasing heat soak from the dischage tube.

Anyone that owns an S351 supercharged of any year should get it dyno tuned immediately to know exatly whats going on with the car even if they think it's runnign great. That goes for the 99-00 cars also.

I could go on but that's the cliff notes version. Hope that helps.

I'm still waiting for you to get that clutch fixed :D

....:lol: Me too!!! I've been waiting for 3 years for it to finally crap out. Since its not driven that often, nor tracked or really in boost all that much, I see no point in dropping the dough to fix it when I can still cruise all day long with the condition its in (Hanging on for dear life with no room to adjust it), that is :rolleyes:

...Tell you what, give me $750 for the clutch and a hand with the install or $1100 for Joe to put it in and I'll do it tomorrow!! :p Oh wait, I'm having a garage sell tomorrow, (you should stop by and say Hi). How about next weekend :shrug: :nice:

WOW...470 and 505......those are great numbers. So why is my 95 such a dog? I upgraded to 42lb injectors and a SCT chip and diconnected the FMU. Please help.....the car only has 9K miles on it.

Thanks
Bill

Marcus Reply:
Bill,

A bone stock 1995 R Code should make anywhere from 415-440 rwhp on a dynojet. Uncorrected the dynojet is a feel-good-liberal machine. That is on 92-93 octane with your boost retard knob turned up on the ragged edge of detonating and it probably will be even if you can't hear it. A healthy car with the purple pulley should be making at least 7-8 psi of boost.

Saleen had a "97 upgrade" as they called but actaully it was a fix from all of the engine failures they were experiencing with the 94-95 Vortech blown cars. It's the only way they could advertise those kind of crank hp nums back then. That being tuned on the ragged edge.

The 97 upgrade consited of removing the FMU,T-Rex inline fuel pump, replacing the fuel rails with Vortech fuel rails ( those are usually annodized blue or red ) , fuel pressure regulator on the rail, stainless fuel line, new in tank fuel pump, purging and drying out the charcoal canister from the return ( that's where the fuel smell comes from most of the time ) 47 lb. injectors and most importantly going OBD II ( lot's of pins ) comp. with a totally new tune. In 97 they were also known to add an Anderson powerpipe to increase the boost without changing the pulley or increasing heat soak from the dischage tube.

Anyone that owns an S351 supercharged of any year should get it dyno tuned immediately to know exatly whats going on with the car even if they think it's runnign great. That goes for the 99-00 cars also.

I could go on but that's the cliff notes version. Hope that helps.

...yes, what Mark just said. The early OBD I cars are a little more work then the later OBD II cars but I know that having Mark @ PAS on the job, he will be able to get the car running strong and get you to the number you ulimately want to see. You need to be patient and pick the brains of all the S351 owners on this site. You'll be very happy with the outcome, trust me!! :nice:

60,000 miles on my 95 S351 Speedster and absolutely flawless - no issues.

I actually had a 97 Cobra, and that car ran warmer than my S351 (which still runs warm, but nowhere near the Cobra).

Comparing the power between the Cobra and the S351 - not even a match. The S351 is about 1,000 times more fun to drive. If you are a fan of the S351 - I would stick with it.

I still like the Cobras, but is not my cup of tea - this is all opinion based mind you. If I were to get a Saleen Cobra it would be the 03 SC that is reliable with tons of power. I do like the SN95 body style alot better though. If I could find an 03 Saleen Cobra Speedster, I would take a hard look at adding it to my collection though.

60,000 miles on my 95 S351 Speedster and absolutely flawless - no issues.

I actually had a 97 Cobra, and that car ran warmer than my S351 (which still runs warm, but nowhere near the Cobra).

Comparing the power between the Cobra and the S351 - not even a match. The S351 is about 1,000 times more fun to drive. If you are a fan of the S351 - I would stick with it.

I still like the Cobras, but is not my cup of tea - this is all opinion based mind you. If I were to get a Saleen Cobra it would be the 03 SC that is reliable with tons of power. I do like the SN95 body style alot better though. If I could find an 03 Saleen Cobra Speedster, I would take a hard look at adding it to my collection though.

That's awesome.

If your 95 has that many miles on the same engine then your car is the exception. Congrats.

I agree about the torque. If you want a free rev car then go for the Cobra. If you want a tire scorcher get the S351 N/A or blown.

If anyone's S351 is running even a little warm upgrade to Chicane's dual pass radiator. Joe developed it for the 99 S351 while he worked at Saleen. You could cool your beer on it.:D