351c hp estimate

bswor

Nov 10, 2003
Looking for an estimate or dyno results from people with the same setup as me. Running a 1972 H.O. 351c block, 351m 2v heads (guessing stock rebuilt heads, all this was in the car when i got it), edelbrock performer intake, 650 edelbrock carb, super comp headers, dual exhaust, c-4 tranny, 2.89 or 3.0 8" rear.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not real certain but im going to say stock cam, i can run 87 octane no problem. Petronix, no porting that i know of, and filter (just regular round one? lol)

bswor said:
I'm not real certain but im going to say stock cam, i can run 87 octane no problem. Petronix, no porting that i know of, and filter (just regular round one? lol)
Its hard to say as a Cleveland mildly built can make alot of HP. Ex. the stock 2bbl heads come with 2.05 intake valves. Look at aftermarket heads, most are not that big. The stock intake and exhaust runners are pretty good except for the water jacket hump in the exhaust port, although I think that is more of a concern with 4bbl heads. Another thing with a cleveland, in 72 they came retarded at the chain 2 degree's, motorsport sells and indexed timing set that allows you to advance it back to make more power. Even with flat tops, it is propably making approx. 10:1 compression. It sounds to me, someone swapped in a production cleveland, so estimating conservatively, you propably have 250 hp. Now, that said, pump in a nice mechanical flat tappet cam, ditch the pertronix for a real ignition, advance the timing, either port your heads and match to a good intake or opt for 4bbl quench heads or 2bbl austrailian heads and then you could end up with a 450-500 hp motor. Mine makes 628.9 (dynoed) with a solid roller cam, spooned quench heads, svo intake stock balanced lower end w/ flat tops and some oil system work. These can be cranking motors.