351w Cam And Head Suggestions

ShaneB79

Sep 27, 2016
Im building a 90 LX hatch right now for primarily drag racing. Some street driving but not much. The car has a 4:30 gear and I just bought a C4 trans for it. I have a 351 roller block and found a good deal on some Ross 30 over pistons -12cc pistons, scat I beam rods and a cast scat crank that I will most likely buy.
I have gutted the car, put UPR k member and coil overs in and plan to attack the rear of the car next with strange axles, c clip eliminators, spool, new contral arms and springs and shocks, maybe a coilover kit. While working on the rearend I want to send my block and parts to the machine shop to be built.
I am looking for recommendations on a cam and head combo. I'd like to go with AFR heads, cam brand does not concern me that much. I believe with the AFR heads max lift is 600. I figure a 58cc chamber would be best but I am unsure of the intake runner size. This car will be carbed. I may add nitrous in the future but right now plans are just for NA. Any thoughts

• Sponsors (?)

depends how fast you want to go

personally
id skip the -12 CC piston and get something flat top to keep the compression up around 11:1 or higher
id get a bullet cam spec'd by mark@ bullet or Sam @ vincent performance
id skip the AFR heads and go with a 205CC 11R... TFS R... or a highport
the intake would be a super victor

Reactions: 1 user
depends how fast you want to go

personally
id skip the -12 CC piston and get something flat top to keep the compression up around 11:1 or higher
id get a bullet cam spec'd by mark@ bullet or Sam @ vincent performance
id skip the AFR heads and go with a 205CC 11R... TFS R... or a highport
the intake would be a super victor
Everything he stated above X2. If you're staying with those Pistons then I highly recommend a blower/turbo at a later date. Just cam it accordingly

Everything he stated above X2. If you're staying with those Pistons then I highly recommend a blower/turbo at a later date. Just cam it accordingly
i am looking at a similar build with an 88 notch. 351w with a c4 no power adder. I would like to use a UPR k member but need info on the correct header to use with edelbrock performer rpm heads. any other problems I might run into? help would be appreciated.

I would recommend AFR205 if you going bigger CID AFR225. My 331 loves the 205s making 470rwhp. Of course I'm solid roller with .664 intake lift. If your staying 4lug I will make you a heck of a deal on some 33 spline Strange axles with clip eliminaters. Pm me if interested.

Y
i am looking at a similar build with an 88 notch. 351w with a c4 no power adder. I would like to use a UPR k member but need info on the correct header to use with edelbrock performer rpm heads. any other problems I might run into? help would be appreciated.
ou already have the RPM heads? They are fairly small for a 351. They would be fine for a street car with a max RPM/power range of say 450hp<6000rpms. They have no room for growth beyond that. Some BBK swap headers should work fine. If in the budget go with the ceramic coated version. They will look better/live longer.

Really for a street/strip head for a 351, they should be at least 185cc intake runner and more ideally in the 205cc range. If it's going to live at the track I wouldn't go with anything below 205cc. Now with forced induction or even nitrous, it's not quite as important. The heads need to be able to flow enough for the intended power range.