351w h/c/i, sts turbo...?

90mustangfan

Oct 18, 2005
So cal
Ok im going to build a emission legal setup using sts turbo sytem. Its going to be a daily driver, 95' cobra. Check out the setup.
Dart 351w 8.5 compression, canton 7qt, windgegtrey, hv oil pump etc.
AFR 185's emission legal(1.7RR's, sronger valve springs)
stock cam or emission friendly cam
edelbrock truck 5.8 intake(possibly p&P)
Aermotive 1000hp fuel setup(42# inj. line,pump,filter,fpr)
all Msd electrical equipment,boost controller...Fast tuning.
StS turbo gt67 turbo, 8-15psi boost, 3core intercooled
bbk 75mm tb, 90mm maf
shortie headers, 3in, X pipe, 3in corsa exhaust setup
Lakewood bellhousing,spec stg 3+ G-force t56 trans(800ftlbs tq capacity)
stock rear 8.8 end 3.55 gears,31 pline, girdle etc
maximum motorsports grip box complete suspension package
03 cobra rims, 315 nitto dr's

my only questing is will getting a flow job on the H/C/I effect emissions if it flows better or more effieciently? and any suggestions on the setup would be greatly apprec.

• Sponsors (?)

i wouldent worry about emmissions, we have the dyno test here and my car passed.....of course i am able to bolt up the stock 4-cat h-pipe and air pump pullied and piped constantly....it passed just like a stocker

Im more worried about how sts can do a remote mount on a mustang? I tried that and it was undriveable.....ground clearance wise......
dsc01858.jpg

dsc01905.jpg

Attachments

• dsc01858.jpg
    dsc01858.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,755
  • dsc01905.jpg
    dsc01905.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 413
Sounds like its gonna be a sweet car, my buddy has an sts system on his lt1 camaro and it rips, the lag is not noticeable at all and the torque is great. A suggestion, I wouldnt invest in a corsa exhaust, headers, and an x pipe because a free flowing exaust will not yield power (with a rear mount turbo) One of the pros of this system was that my buddy didnt have to replace the stock exhaust, the sts just bolted in place of the stock muffler (the turbo itself acts as a muffler, and it made the chevy sound awesome). Also, Id highly reccomend replacing the cam to compliment your setup (perhaps a custom grind or boost cam), no use putting on nice heads and choking it with a stock cam. A cam does not equal bad emissions, if it is optimized for the setup I dont see why it wouldnt help yield more power and efficiency. Good luck, and good to see you have suspension mods in mind :nice:

thanks guys, it will be completely emissions legal for california. Though if I got the H/C/I a flow job..ie, 3 angle valves, flow job on the intake, not hogging ports but flow job. Will that effect emissions, thanks for the props on the setup. Im also a mebmer on the mustangforums, and everyone on there said it not possible to make this setup, I call all the companies about there parts to confirm, all part are emissions legal, so is the sts....I think im sticking with the stangnet forums, way nicer people, that dont just na say everything like mustangforums....I know there are alot of members from that forum that came to stangnet because its better, ALIATE X move probally because he got sick of mustangforums....stay away from that forum. BTW thanks guys for the props. esp, greenmustanggt, thanks alot ill try and contact you, I have more questions on the ground clearence issues.

Ok im going to build a emission legal setup using sts turbo sytem. Its going to be a daily driver, 95' cobra. Check out the setup.
Dart 351w 8.5 compression, canton 7qt, windgegtrey, hv oil pump etc.
AFR 185's emission legal(1.7RR's, sronger valve springs)
stock cam or emission friendly cam
edelbrock truck 5.8 intake(possibly p&P)
Aermotive 1000hp fuel setup(42# inj. line,pump,filter,fpr)
all Msd electrical equipment,boost controller...Fast tuning.
StS turbo gt67 turbo, 8-15psi boost, 3core intercooled
bbk 75mm tb, 90mm maf
shortie headers, 3in, X pipe, 3in corsa exhaust setup
Lakewood bellhousing,spec stg 3+ G-force t56 trans(800ftlbs tq capacity)
stock rear 8.8 end 3.55 gears,31 pline, girdle etc
maximum motorsports grip box complete suspension package
03 cobra rims, 315 nitto dr's

my only questing is will getting a flow job on the H/C/I effect emissions if it flows better or more effieciently? and any suggestions on the setup would be greatly apprec.

1) why would you want to port the heads, with twin 67's you will max those 42's with stock heads--let alone stock 185's
2) let me know where you find this magical corsa setup for our cars---not to mention the money you would waste on such a setup with a turbo that will eliminate it completely
3) good luck running a torque arm with that much torque---or rear mount turbos
4) if your building a dart block why not stroke it out some--say 427?
5) i hope you have about $50k layin around.

you have alot to learn before you can even begin to dream of a combo like that.

whell, i just want to know how sts can fit a rear-mounted turbo...ESPECIALLY a gt67 single......Unless the remove the gastank or cut out the rear seats there is no way they can fit one under there....my small t-3's barely fit and still bottomed on every rock.

also why use a truck intake? horrible.....get a mustang 351 style!

whell, i just want to know how sts can fit a rear-mounted turbo...ESPECIALLY a gt67 single......Unless the remove the gastank or cut out the rear seats there is no way they can fit one under there....my small t-3's barely fit and still bottomed on every rock.

also why use a truck intake? horrible.....get a mustang 351 style!

the only stuff sts makes for mustangs is for the 05-up that have rear mounted mufflers.

i personally would opt for the gas tank delete kit. then custom mold a fuel cell in the rear seat well thats fully enclosed with carbon fiber and then put some subs/amp on top of it for that custom touch.

then wire up some underbody lights so when you blowoff valve vents you can light it up. that'd be tyte.

1. I heard from somone that sts kit were ca carb legal, and is the only emissions legal kit.
2. if I have a 351 and im trying to keep it emission legal, a 427 is defitinitly not going to pass you would atleast need a 225cc head for that, and no head that big is emission friendly.
3. Ok so what the 42# are max out, **** ill run 100lbs injectors problem fixed, rember im using a fast tuning system.
4. If I went with a race 10 gal fuel tank, placed it on the right side, cut out some of the trunk space and mount 1 big t76, why wouldnt it work, sts has universal kits to make it work, they have there sts shops that will make it work, if under there with some trunks cut out...there will be room.
5. Doing a 351w swap will pass emissions, why, because ill tell the smog guy its a 302, he cant tell the difference, all he cares about is if he gets his money and it has carb#'s, people areound here dont give a ratsass about visual. pass sniffer all good. and another reason,lots of 94 f150's come with 350's they pass, theonly difference is mine is a dart block, not a weak block, otherwise by looking at it you cant tell its a 302,331,347,351, he cant tell the difference.
6.bimmertech, thats what I was thinking, cut out some trunk space, put subs and amp on the other side....then make it look goood.
Is there anyother question about my setup, so bigger # injectors, cut into trunk space, watch ground clearence....alll other part have carb#'s on them, oh and there is no 351 intake that is emissions friendly, No TF, Edel, spyder, are emissions legal for 351, the only intake I found for a 351w that has cab# and 50state legal is the edel truck intake designed for 351w, runs idle-5500rpm, perfect... all my parts are matching idle to 6K, im covered. any other questions?

for number 5 from your list there... no offense to the guy that does your emissions, and thank god where i live there is no checking... But some of the cars I've built and people I know that run those places can usually spot a 351W compared to a 302 because theres a big difference.. Espically looking at them ever day.. If the guy can't then good for you..

For #5 sure, mabye he can tell,so what, now he know that is 351, it still passes, it still passes, and worst case, he does notice, mabye ill slip him a 500$ and say thanks.:D so its pretty debatable on passing or not passing....how much horse power do you think it will make? I was think n/A 351 h/c/i, 320-340rwhp, then 10lbs of boost so mabye like 450rwhp-500rwhp, Im hoping for more, or it might not be worth the spending on the dart block if its only going 450rwhp, stock block can handle that mabye all forged too.