3rd Brake Light Install

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not really quite sure that would pass inspection. The third brake light is called a Center HIGH MOUNT Stop light, and is supposed to be above the level of the other two outboard brake lights so it can be seen above traffic or if a car is in front of you.

I like it. I am gonna have to get creative with mine too. I am using the 01 drivetrain and harness in my 81 notch...which the 81 never had a 3rd light. The 01 3rd light is in the decklid. So I think I am just gonna take a stock 87-93 notch 3rd light and and take the 01 harness, rewire it and hook it up in the stock location.

You're right about that! I wouldn't like the idea of having no 3rd brake light. Most drivers don't pay much attention driving these days with all the text messaging and navigation units in there cars!! The 3rd brake light might get their attention!! It would suck to get rear ended in a fox body...especially a fox body convertible!!!

I like it. I am gonna have to get creative with mine too. I am using the 01 drivetrain and harness in my 81 notch...which the 81 never had a 3rd light. The 01 3rd light is in the decklid. So I think I am just gonna take a stock 87-93 notch 3rd light and and take the 01 harness, rewire it and hook it up in the stock location.

I have always thought that a flushmount brake light like the 01's have would look sick on a fox. especially a vert or coupe.

Yeah, I did a chop of that once, but the question is...where do you move to lock to?

Shave it off!
But I think the Fox trunk is too curved on the top for a 99 brakelight, or unless you mount it upside down. Anyway you look at it, it's gonna involve some custom work.

Heres a thought get a fiberglass lid and graft a brakelight to the rear of it like on the Cutlass conv.:shrug:
View attachment 329091

I'm glad I dont live in an inspection state, but I dont know if its a good thing or bad thing?

On my old nova I took a stock 3rd brake light off of a 95 s10 and put some new 3m double sided sticky and put it at the top of my rear window and hid the wires under the headliner, that way the light wasn't visable unless I hit the brake.

I have always thought that a flushmount brake light like the 01's have would look sick on a fox. especially a vert or coupe.

I agree. :nice: I was thinking about mounting the 01 3rd light in my decklid on my 81 project car. I would have if I would have fixed my rusty decklid on the car because I would have had to weld a lot of metal in there anyways.

But that lid was so rotted I bought a new one from 50resto. 145 + 135 shipping!!:notnice: I have almost 300 in this lid...I am not gonna cut a hole in it now!!:rolleyes:

I shaved mine. I took a close look at the popper before doing it, and figgured out how to open the hatch from the inside if the popper ever broke. It looks f'n sweet on the outside. well worth it.

As far as the 3rd brake light is concerned, why not get a single row LED bar thats all of 4 or 5 inches long and mount it at the top of the glass (in a notch). For a vert, an inset one like the later SN95's would be f'n sweet.

like dis?
mustangtl1.jpg

what trunk lock? :p