4.10s and aod tranny?

bobwb

Dec 11, 2009
new to this site, i have a 86 gt 160,000 miles, runs very good, had it since new, all stock, need a little more grunt, found a good shop that will do rear end work, do you guys think 4.10s or 3.73 will be better then my 3.27s i have now? he recomends the 4.10s. the car rarlly see,s the freeway. next month i was thinking about the exhaust system, headers. cat back system. thanks, bob from wash. state.

• Sponsors (?)

hey thanks you guys, i,ve been kind of not sure which way to go 4.10s or 3.73s, gonna have them installed tomm. morn. goinn 4.10s, but it just started snowinn here now, hope i can get it to the shop in the morn, really excited , 1st. mod i,ve done on this car so far. except the air silencer, kn air filter, advanced the timing a bit, it went pretty good with the 3.27s , gonna get the gt there tomm. snow or no snow. the shop iam taking it to up here is really good. they work on the older mustangs up to the new ones, they can do any mods you can think of. ill report back to you guys tomm nite.

I also have a question since this was brought up again.

You guys that are sayin 4:10 are good even for highway use, what speeds are you referring to?

My trip to work has about 15 mile stretch of interstate with a 70 mph speed limit, so it easily gets to 75 or 80.

So I am wandering what the revs would be at those speeds?

around here in seattle its 60mph. but more like around 40 to 50 with all the traffic, so my 4.10s i hope will work out nice, on long trips we take my wifes new v-6 accord, i really like my 86 better, dont like driving a ricer, but its pretty comfy compared to my 86gt.

I have 3.73's with an ADO to me i think its perfect your running a stock motor right?...They dont pull much past 5000 rpms... My car at 65 is almost 2500 rpms...Yes the car still has an awesome take off and and decent Mid-range with 3.73's...I would think 4.10's will kill any top end you have now i know i had 3.27's and now have 3.73s and i can see the difference how much top end i lost...Just my opinion Oh yeah GAS mileage went down 2-3 mpg from 3.27's to 3.73s...if your not worried about that or top end go for the 4.10's..:nice:

thanks guys, goinn with 4.10s, went for a drive in 1 today, a 90 gt. auto. 4.10s at auto zone today, that thing hauls butt, he used to have 3.73s. his has the short pulleys, headers, thats it.

I hated 4.10's in my AOD. Prolly cause it was a stock trans and the thing shifted from 2nd to 3rd at 4,700RPM. The 4.10's made that feeling worse because it revved through the power band. I hated that car. lol

Thats why i said for him to go with 3.73's on a stock motor/trans combo..With 4.10's i think he will be out of his powerband so quick with a stock motor.....Im very happy with 3.73's in my AOD car....

I say 373's, that's what I have and I like them except for the 2-3 shift comes almost instantly when I get on it, almost like going from 1st to 3rd on a hard launch, I couldn't imagine how short it would be with 411's.
It's like 111111111-22-33333333-444444444444444444:shrug:

Thats why i said for him to go with 3.73's on a stock motor/trans combo..With 4.10's i think he will be out of his powerband so quick with a stock motor.....Im very happy with 3.73's in my AOD car....

My motor was a stock lower, GT40 iron, E-cam, Cobra intake, 24 inj. headers, mid pipe catback, but still, my trans shifted way to fast. AOD shuffle made the car excellent but I didn't do that all the time.

I say 373's, that's what I have and I like them except for the 2-3 shift comes almost instantly when I get on it, almost like going from 1st to 3rd on a hard launch, I couldn't imagine how short it would be with 411's.
It's like 111111111-22-33333333-444444444444444444:shrug:

HAHAHA....yup!!! That's what mine was. The AOD shuffle (1-2-1-D) was the only way you could drive it and make it fast. My car seemed to go 1-3 as well. I wish I either had a built AOD, or a T5. That car was strong, but the trans killed it.

HAHA yea my brother had an 88 GT with a 3.73 full exhaust and an AOD we had to do the AOD shuffle when we were racing that thing, when i first heard about it i was like "your kidding me right??" i told my bro "were gonna try this, if ur trans blows...im sorry???" haha but it worked and chirped em into 3rd

My motor was a stock lower, GT40 iron, E-cam, Cobra intake, 24 inj. headers, mid pipe catback, but still, my trans shifted way to fast. AOD shuffle made the car excellent but I didn't do that all the time.

HAHAHA....yup!!! That's what mine was. The AOD shuffle (1-2-1-D) was the only way you could drive it and make it fast. My car seemed to go 1-3 as well. I wish I either had a built AOD, or a T5. That car was strong, but the trans killed it.

Ok. I'm very new here.. What is the AOD Shuffle ?? Is this seriuos?
Tom

the AOD shuffle also called the 1-D-1 shuffle goes like this. you start off with the gear selector on 1, as you accelerate you push the selector up to D to get it to shift to second and then pull it back to 1 to get it to hold second gear. When you want to shift to 3 you put the selector in D.

The construction of the AOD valve body prevents you from being able to manually hold second gear. Thus the shuffle. Be warned, it is hard on your OD band. Some guys do it for a long time with no ill effects and others only get away with it for a little while, like me.

Even with shift kits you still can't hold second gear but they will help keep it in second longer than with the stock valve body calibration. The only true fix, that I know of, is an aftermarket valve body with the OD on/off switch.

When my car was an AOD, i hated the 3.73's. I mean it was a nice quick gear, but even with the 3.73's i lost all my top end. Highway speeds at 60MPH sounded like i was overrevving the car, and accelerating past 100 was out of the question because i could not engage OD at WOT. At the track, i'd pass through the traps around 100MPH basically on the rev limiter.

Highway speeds near me are typically 80MPH, and to keep up felt like i was drivng the car floored all the time. if i had to pass anyone, a downshift to the next gear was basically almost redline.

I hated it. If ihad to do it all over again, i'd go 3.55's MAX.

Now that my car's a 5-spd, i still hate it, but slightly less. Gonna rip the 3.73's out of my car and stick some 3.55's or 3.27's in. The way I see it, i'll subsititute steep gearing.....with Horsepower