4.30:1 gear/AOD/ speedo gear?

gearheadboy

15 Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Greencastle Pa
Speedo gear calculator! Awesome!

I found this speedo gear calculator, it is awesome. www.finer.com/Internet/pages/speedo.htm I was wondering what do I do with a 4.30:1 rear ratio, and an AOD.
I went to Steeda's website, they make a "white gear" for a 4.11:1 and I thought that would be close enough, but further inspection looks like they use the same gear for 3.55/3.73/4.11. What the heck? And what can I do?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe 23 tooth is as close as you'll get and that is about right on for an AOD and 3.73s, 4.10s will be off a bit, as will 4.30s.

If you have a 7 tooth drive gear on your output shaft, it will be closer than an 8 tooth unit would be.

The 23 tooth units wear out sorta quick it seems as well...

gearheadboy said:
I found this speedo gear calculator, it is awesome. www.finer.com/Internet/pages/speedo.htm I was wondering what do I do with a 4.30:1 rear ratio, and an AOD.
I went to Steeda's website, they make a "white gear" for a 4.11:1 and I thought that would be close enough, but further inspection looks like they use the same gear for 3.55/3.73/4.11. What the heck? And what can I do?

I have heard about problems with the 4.10 and up gears stripping the teeth. There is an external adaptor that you can get to accomidate any ratio. Couple of company makes them, dont know the name, but should be easy enough to find.

It used to that there were Speedometer shops that would make you a mechanical transducer / gear ratio adapter boxes, but those shops are nonexistant anymore that I know of.

The only adapters I've personally seen in the mags are for later model electronic speedometers (VSS based) and I ALWAYS try to look, hehe...

I've had good luck with my 23 tooth gear as far as not wearing out, but I've seen alot at work that apple cored pretty quickly.

If anyone knows of an adapter gearbox that works with mechanical speedometers from AODs and AODE.4R70Ws, I'd be VERY thankful to know of the maker.

Mustang John said:
It used to that there were Speedometer shops that would make you a mechanical transducer / gear ratio adapter boxes, but those shops are nonexistant anymore that I know of.

The only adapters I've personally seen in the mags are for later model electronic speedometers (VSS based) and I ALWAYS try to look, hehe...

I've had good luck with my 23 tooth gear as far as not wearing out, but I've seen alot at work that apple cored pretty quickly.

If anyone knows of an adapter gearbox that works with mechanical speedometers from AODs and AODE.4R70Ws, I'd be VERY thankful to know of the maker.

Not true, those boxes still exist. I just had one made for me when I got my 4.10's a little over a month ago. It wasd $170 installed and $30 if I change tire or gear ratios again.

1hot5.0 said:
Not true, those boxes still exist. I just had one made for me when I got my 4.10's a little over a month ago. It wasd $170 installed and $30 if I change tire or gear ratios again.
1Hot5.0,,where did you buy that? And whats the name of it? Does it work well? Im getting 410's pretty soon ( finally ) and I think that box is my ticket :nice: