4.30's too much gear???

• Sponsors (?)

for daily driving with a stick shift, i think even 4.30s are way too much gear. even with 3.73s, first gear lasts about 2 seconds before you have to shift into 2nd

without a stick, it is not as painful (at least you aren't shifting all the time), but the rpms are going to be noticeable higher at highway cruising speeds

and forget about the speedo or odometer even being close to accurate at all

for a race car that can wind up the rpms, probably not too much gear

even then, in a 1/4 mile race, with the 4.30s you might have to shift one more time, which might actually slow you down all together

Too much for what? Depends if your combo needs that gear or not. My 4.30's have always been just fine on the highway. But than again, I don't drive like dale earnhart.

Get what ever gear your combo and powerband NEED. Don't worry about an extra 150 rpm's on the highway in overdrive. What are you building? Are the gears for the stock car in your sig?

i guess the obvious question is ... how do you intend to drive the car? daily driving, street/strip, or strip only?

i believe that for daily driving with a stick shift, you will end up not liking 4.30s

that is my opinion

List of the Build:
306 block
keith black flat top pistons(hyper)
wolverine 1190 cam shaft.
10 cut crank.
Stock rods.
Arp rod bolts
TFS KPI street heads Highports.... 1.94 or 2.02 intakes
3/8 intake spacer
65mm BBK TB
TFS TB elbow
24lb injectors
24lb pro m maf.
FRPP pulley set
comp magnium 1.6 rail type roller rockers
TFS Track heat manifold.
low milage stock t5
low milage ford racing clutch kit.
walbro 190 fuel pump.
all new gaskets
new starter
new rad
new rack

Exhaust:
BBK catted H
BBK shortie headers
Flowmaster 40's

Suspension:
HP blues
Sportlines

other:
New vert top.
New heater core
MM 6 point cage.(yet to be ordered)

Clean up bay:
hide wires
Sand blast
Paint.

I know what you mean Keith, but if he's staying n/a then why not? I drove my friends car which had 4.30s and really liked it. Didn't notice a whole lot of difference in normal driving over my 4.10s.

Really NOT trying to be an azzhole here, but have you driven a car geared with 4.30s?

Edit* just saw your plans, I still say DO IT!