4.6 2v intake manifold extended coverage !!!

• Sponsors (?)

Im going throgh the whole trouble of having to do this. What sucks is that i received info in the mail about this whole lawsuit back in llike sept. My intake cracked on me 2 weeks ago. Now the dealer saying i am out the warrnty 7 year period and want $1000 to fix the problem (doing it myself now instead) Anyways from what they told me 2004 was when my 7 years was up. So what i dont get is this lawsuit was passed yet my warranty expired before it was passed. I think they should just cover it. Plain and simple.

01ragtop said:
Does the failed part have to be the crossover tube? On mine the tube on the rear passengers side (I think it is the Heater return) completely snaped off while I was driving down the road. Any ideas?

Yes it does have to be the coolant crossover. Ford has yet to fix the heater core hose fitting problem. I have seen those leak on even the new updated intake manifolds with the aluminum crossover.

5.0's 4 ever said:
Yes it does have to be the coolant crossover. Ford has yet to fix the heater core hose fitting problem. I have seen those leak on even the new updated intake manifolds with the aluminum crossover.

Is there a way to fix this??? What if I change the manifold myself then go to Ford, they should have no idea right?

01ragtop said:
Is there a way to fix this??? What if I change the manifold myself then go to Ford, they should have no idea right?

There is no way to fix it, the heater core hose pipe is suppose to be fused into the plastic. If you did replace it yourself I don't think they would have any idea.

deftsound said:
i wish mine would break now so i could take advantage of this
Hey just replace it yourself then take it to ford before the 16th. The info that I have read says you don't have to have a reciept, and it doesn't have to be from Ford. Sure you have to shell out the money to replace it, but in the end Ford should cover it for you. Maybe this is a bit shaddy, no?

One other thing. Does this leak to the external portion of the engine, or can it leak into the engine? I have checked mine, but found no external damage except for the heater core hose pipe.

my dad is looking at buying a '96 GT. it has the original manifold. to replace it with the new aluminum cross-over manifold, what do we need to buy? just the PI intake and new gaskets? one website has a "stock replacement kit" for '96-'98 GTs which includes "PCV valve retainer, plastic vacuum manifold, and all gaskets and o-ring." That kit costs $300, but i see the manifold by itself for $190. what do we need to buy? thanks!

intake manifold warranty ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will ford give me a 735.00 check or new manifold kit if i go up there right now, i havent had any problems yet with my manifold but no sense in waiting for it to go bad

If you car is on the VIN list you get replacement manifold regardless.

If you are not on the VIN list and not cracked so far you get warranty extended to seven years from when the car was originally sold new.

If you paid to have your manifold replaced already and have a receipt, you will get $735.

If you paid to have your manifold replaced already and do not have a receipt, you will get $735 after the service manager looks at your manifold and verifies that it is the updated part.

You will know it is cracked when coolant leaks out.

Kilgore Trout said:
If you paid to have your manifold replaced already and do not have a receipt, you will get $735 after the service manager looks at your manifold and verifies that it is the updated part.
QUOTE]

my bright idea,
1.order manifold
2.self install it
3.get the money (and a little more )back from ford dealership:shrug:

alright, this is really starting to make me mad. My car is a "1997" Mustang built 8/96. My Intake cracked at the T-stat housing in 2002 or early 2003 i cant remember, im currently looking for my receipt. Someone tell me im still getting reimbursed....

Intake Manifold

Well I'm new to the muscle car stuff and so far I'm enjoying making some modifications to the stang. unfortunately I also have that plastic intake manifold I have heard that I can simply change my heads to a 99 or newer stang and switch to a performance intake manifold. Is there any truth to that or are more modifications needed. I'm asking because I can get those heads fairly cheap. any info would help. Thanks:shrug:

5.0's 4 ever said:
Its possibly too new for any of the dealers to know what is going on. All they would have to do is read FSA 05N04, the cars that are affected are identified in their oasis report.
I have one more sad story to add to this thread. Four years ago when I bought my 1996 GT it came with a letter from Ford Canada, referring to Service program #97M91 which covered the same defective manifold. Being naive I tucked it away and proceeded to add a supercharger. Some of the rest is predictable. Under about 2# boost the plastic crossover gave way spilling most of the anti-freeze on the ground.
  • $10 for coolant to try and limp to a garage (before I knew the extent of the gusher)
  • Approximately $20 for a cab to get me home
  • $50 (about) for a local tow to a temporary parking spot
  • $500 for a 100 mile tow home
  • $450 (about) for a new manifold
  • $100 for seals gaskets and sundries
Mercifully my memory of this is dulling but I do recall the service department laughing at me when I mentioned the letter and the supercilious moron from Ford who responded to my complaint addressed to the Head of Ford Canada. Despite many cases elsewhere that seem to confirm that it is the companies responsibility to prove modifications cause the specific failure no one would listen to this arguement. In this situation I totally agree that plastic is inadequate for this manifold. In fact the replacement I purchased had an aluminum crossover. I am still driving my stang but I too would give a lot of thought to buying a new one. :scratch:

5.0's 4 ever said:
I don't know if this has been told yet but ford just started extended coverage program 05N04 on Dec 14th. The coverage will be for 7 years from the warranty start date of your vehicle. So if your mustang or vehicle falls under this and it has not been over 7 years from your warranty start date, your intake manifold will be covered if it cracks.
For anyone who has paid to have their intake manifold replaced within 7years of the warranty start date you will be getting reimbursed.

Vehicles covered by this program
Mustang
1997 - 2001
June 25, 1997 through Job last 2001

Thunderbird and Cougar
July 14, 1997 through September 4, 1997

Explorer and Mountaineer
Job#1 2002 through July 27, 2001

Town Car
1996 - 2001
Job#1 1996 through Job last 2001

Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis
1996 - 2001
Job#1 1996 through Job last 2001

Do I have to be the original owner?
Is Ford obligated to replace even if there is no crack?
Is my 2000 GT covered under this program until 2007?