4.6 Block difference

adj86

Jul 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Whats up? I new to the Stangnet forums, and am also a newibe at high performance parts. I was wondering though, is there any difference between and 04 4.6 engine block and a 05 block. Just wondering. any imput is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

cLeAnRaCiNgLdR said:
the 04 4.6 block was a 16valve motor...The 05 Block is a 24valve. I'm sure there are other differences. anyone else?
actually thats not correct, the valvetrain is not part of the block, it is located in the heads. on the 04 are 2v per cylinder and the 05 are 3V. as far as the block itself goes i cannot comment b/c im not sure but someone will definately be able to help you out

So lemme get this right

I appreciate the help folks, so let me see if i got this right. For the most part the only difference is that the 04 block is cast iron. That means technically i could take and 04 cast iron block and put 05 3v heads on it if i wanted to. The reason im asking is this. I just read about Kenne Bell's line of 05 superchargers. I read a thread earlier about how if you get to 450 rwhp then you can kiss your original motor goodbye. I was thinking of getting the S/C that boasts the 850 hp, and i know the original block can't handle this much power and i figured that i would do as much research as humanly possible. I would much rather have my dreams squashed that my motor destroyed and therefore my wallet. GIve me your opinions, i appreciate it.

You'll need more than the heads. You'll need the front cam chain cover, cam drive chains, etc. There are also oiling changes in the 05 to handle the VCT. W/O the 05 computer you won't be able to run the VCT, but I imagine for your application you'll be removing the VCT anyway.

Unless you have lots of cash & time to burn figuring out how to stick 3V heads on the old iron block, my recomendation is that you port your stock 2V heads or go with aftermarket 2V heads. There are lots of parts including S/Cs designed for the 4.6 2V.