4.6L 4valve - locating a reasonably priced engine

kirkyg

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Beaumont, TX
I tried to start a tech discussion about the 4valve swap and possible twin screw build up but i got 0 response. So let me start from the first issue i have.

I'm looking for either a 2001 cobra engine or an 03-04 mach 1 engine (preferably 01 cobra because i like the cobra valve covers better and it will most likely be cheaper to purchase).

If i can find at a junk yard thats undamaged i would go for that. Basically i want the CHEAPEST engine i can find thats not in bad shape. I hoping to find one around a thousand or so. Is this going to be possible?

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not talking about a 03 cobra engine. I'm talking about a 2001 engine that only puts out 305 crank hp stock. I would think atleast a junk yard engine could be found for in the thousands. Karkraft whom is expensive has them for like mid 3's so i KNOW you can get them for cheaper than that and thats with like 1000 miles on them.

What resources are there on the net for finding an engine like this used? Is there a site you can search for stuff from different junk yards in say the houston area etc?

kirkyg

Just start scouring the pick-n-pull yards near you and see what they will do for you...sometimes you can negotiate those guys down a lot from their original number if you know what you are talking about

You probably won't get one for less than a couple grand...even if it's off a salvage

you might be able to find Mach1 engine bit cheaper then Cobra motor. But even its cheaper, not by much. I once saw used 99 Cobra motor, that had something like 65kmiles on it, and had dmg'd alternator braket or something on e-bay, which still sold for 2600bucks...

Just knowing where your going with this setup, you'd almost be better off trading your car in and just getting an 03 cobra. You're gonna spend a LOT of money to get this motor then throw it in.. then supercharging and tuning afterwords??? The 03 is forged, has blower cams, has the blower, brakes, seats, Intercooler and everything else with none of the hassle. If I knew the 03 Cobra's were coming out when I bought my GT in 02 I never would have bothered with it or the blower. I just don't see the sense in swapping out a perfectly fine 2 valve when the cars still worth enough to make a good trade in on a used cobra. Prices on those should fall once the 05's hit the market.

Then would it be cheaper to find a block for 500-1000 and build up from there trying to locate heads and the rest to put together?

I really dont want to pay the insurance on an 03 cobra. Id rather keep a GT and build up. It may just be too expensive and I may just go with a 2.2L Kenne Bell when they come out for the GT and rebuild my 2valve. There are so many options but i thought i would be able to find an 01 cobra engine cheaper with some miles on it.

Does anyone know of any resources on the net that are good for locating used engines?

kirkyg

Like others have said, the '01 Cobra engine is going to be costly, I would think the mach engine would be cheaper without the forged crank and also with the cobra engine being hand built by svt. Also, if you have looked up the kit prices from KB, you are looking at a 9 psi kit for a 99-01 cobra with intercooler is going to cost you $6700. I think you would be better off getting a used 2V, building that with forged internals and some head work, then put a KB on that for a lot less money. Maybe if you can do without your car for a while, just yank your engine and build it. Just some thoughts

Oh, as far as buying the block and building that. I think the heads are going to cost you as much as the block, if not more. Cams are expensive and 32 valves arent cheap either. I'm not an expert on prices, but that would be my guess.

I guess i just loved the idea of supercharged twin screw + high revving DOHC engine. I guess i can give it up because that might be too costly.

I was looking on karkraft and they have used Mach 1 engine with only 1000 miles on it for 2695.00

They also have 2003 cobra iron blocks for $395.00
2003-2004 Cobra S/C Cylinder Heads $650.00 pair

I know there are alot of things i will need besides that. But about 1000 for the engine and heads ain't bad! And i can get a Crank for probably 400-500 new or barely used.

kirkyg

don't be ashamed of ur 2V !!!..build it: stroked to 5.0 and the nforged. Then slap a KB 2.2L...it will be insane !!!!! pricey but still less than doing ur swap + building + blower +tuning/wires...
as mentioned above..if you want a 4V, get a cobra !!!!

You could still have a high revving 2V, depending on what quality of parts you use. You could rev just as high or higher than a 4V. Just get new heads or have yours ported and new valves. I would think you could find a stock 99 or 01 cobra crank for less than 400 used. Its forged, but definitely should not be as expensive as the aftermarkets. And if you stroked it while you were rebuilding, it would KILL a 4V. Especially blown. :nice:

Trying to build up a 4v motor from scratch is very expensive. When I redid the engine in my 96, all I was starting with was my original block. I spent near $1700 just on getting new stuff for putting together that motor and that is with my employee discount at my dealership. I bought the cylinder heads, intake manifold, and front cover from karkraft for around $900. The built shortblock with ARP main studs, head studs, and billet oil pump gears cost a little over $3000. I also have a complete 99 cobra motor that has 55K miles on it that I use to run in my 96, the engine has a rod knock, needs to be rebuilt but I am not letting that thing go for anything less than $2k.

scheister said:
you're on crack dude. Just get the 03 cobra...it will be the most cost-effective way to achieve the results, IMO:)

your smart comments are needed but thanks...

Thanks everyone for the info you've provided. I guess from this point i will look to get the supercharger and then rebuild my engine when the extra cash comes available down the road. Just waiting on the 2.2L now. I wish KB would offer a better intercooler so we could push more boost without going lower compression or race gas.

kirkyg

I feel your situation Kirk.

There isnt really a cheap solution for you. A good forged 2 valve will still be $3000, then the supercharger at $4000. Add in cams, porting, bullit intake and you are out some serious cash.

You can get a cobra engine for $2500 if lucky but it still wont be forged pistons/rods or supercharged.

You can find 03 cobra engines for $7000 then you have forged and supercharged buts its a lot of money out of pocket. You also have to pay for a kenne bell or apten modified eaton to make much more than 500 hp. The good thing is that you can make up to 500 horsepower fairly easily and everything is forged. The wiring can be a bit to tackle too and you will be out a bit more for that.

To get a really solid engine you are looking at least $7000. Good luck in whatever you decide.