4 cyl dual exaust

First of all, a few spelling errors are ok, but it's DUAL, not DUEL. The pipes aren't fighting each other!!

Second, there is no measurable difference between dual 2.5" pipes and a single 3" pipe until you get into massive horsepower...I'm guessing here, but probably over 350hp.

And third, a ton of people have problems with clearing a 3" single on a lowered car, and the problem is solved when going to a dual 2.5" system.

• Sponsors (?)

(&) said:
First of all, a few spelling errors are ok, but it's DUAL, not DUEL. The pipes aren't fighting each other!!

Second, there is no measurable difference between dual 2.5" pipes and a single 3" pipe until you get into massive horsepower...I'm guessing here, but probably over 350hp.

And third, a ton of people have problems with clearing a 3" single on a lowered car, and the problem is solved when going to a dual 2.5" system.

Where did I or anyone else say anything about hp on a 3" exhaust? Must is always be about hp gains? Tell me this would a 2.3T spool faster on a 2.5" exhaust or a 3" (including a 3"DP) ? Sometimes you find your self doing things that do not always help you out without adding Hp but in other ways!

I guess this part would be second of all... why do so many people wasting my time with complaints about speeling errors when they know what me or anyone else is talking about. Is that the only thing that people can get back at others for? Crap how old are you people is this still high school,"If I can't beat you this way I will find another childish way of doing it?"

Third of all... In my opinion only ok... If a person has trouble with a 3" exhaust over the rear axle, they should be ok if they ran a 2.5" single pipe over the axle after the muffler. A 1/2" drop in ID after the muffler want be to bad but from what I read going up a higher ID after the muffler from what the system is could mess you up a hair.

Pro-Hawk said:
Where did I or anyone else say anything about hp on a 3" exhaust? Must is always be about hp gains? Tell me this would a 2.3T spool faster on a 2.5" exhaust or a 3" (including a 3"DP) ? Sometimes you find your self doing things that do not always help you out without adding Hp but in other ways!

I see you're backtracking now. Your claim was that a dual system is more restrictive than a single, but when I use the example of the biggest single system you'd want and how a dual system can be just as good, your answer is "must is always be about hp gains?" :rlaugh:

I guess this part would be second of all... why do so many people wasting my time with complaints about speeling errors when they know what me or anyone else is talking about. Is that the only thing that people can get back at others for? Crap how old are you people is this still high school,"If I can't beat you this way I will find another childish way of doing it?"

I pointed it out because the Internet is not a free pass to write poorly. Like I said, a few errors are ok and everyone does it, but when you misspell a four letter word six times in a single thread, it gets irritating. Especially since the word in question is important to the topic at hand. How qualified are you to talk about a dual exhaust if you can't even spell dual exhaust?

Third of all... In my opinion only ok... If a person has trouble with a 3" exhaust over the rear axle, they should be ok if they ran a 2.5" single pipe over the axle after the muffler. A 1/2" drop in ID after the muffler want be to bad but from what I read going up a higher ID after the muffler from what the system is could mess you up a hair.

I can't explain why people have problems fitting a 3" exhaust but not a dual 2.5", but it happens quite a bit. You're the one who suggested that people ask '86 SVO owners about exhaust, but I guess you didn't like the answer when someone actually did.

Pro-Hawk said:

:rlaugh: Crap I'm qouteing my self now :rlaugh:

Ok where in here does it show me saying I want to know how a dual system can be just as good? Everything I said only referred to the rear axle and single exhaust and read on and see why. Not one time will I ever support a DUAL exhaust on a 2.3L(T)

I did say in the Third of all part always reffering to a single exhaust system. Not always but sometimes a person has trouble with a bigger exhaust going over the rear axle. (exspecailly with it being droped) So I said if a person is having trouble running a 3" exhaust due to clearance issues ( this is why he said a 2.5" with duals so they could get better flow and clearance at the same time I guess) I said basicaly they could probly get away with running a 3" exhaust to the muffler and then a 2.5" exhaust single pipe over the axle ( keep in mind I never talk dual exhaust on a 2.3) This way the person only drops 1/2" ID after the muffler and shouldn't hurt the cars performance much.

There is times when you may not get HP from doing a mod but yet still gain something. There is always a exception to every rule ( I guess there is one for a dual exhaust anything is possiable) My threads I've read say that a stock 2.3T car using a T-3 (or maybe a IHI not sure on it) don't start getting into the boost untill 3k well on my car this is true so I can believe that part ok. They also say you will get into the boost on avg about 500 rpms more with a bigger than stock exhaust and 3" is usualy the ID of choice. Do I believe you can gain HP from installing a 3" exhaust on a stock 2.3T yes I do ( that is the first time I said anything about hp and 3") Whether people should use it in my opinion it depends on you car and mods. I believe you would gain more hp on a more moded 2.3T with a 3" exhaust but the faster spoolling up is also a cool thing to have on a lesser moded 2.3T.

People I have a reading/writting disablillity along with A.D.H.D, there are those in this world who I guess get off on putting people down for there disablillties. I guess this makes people who are lucky enough to be born without any problems to feel more like a man/woman by doing this. I refuse to use spell checkers except on papers for school. In my short time using this computer for other than playing games I have actually improved on my writting skills enough to finnally pass the writting entry test to college which I have failed 3 times before. The time I have been in school most people would have had a B.A. by now but school is way easier for me if I just take 6-9 hours a semester and keep in mind 3 of those hours is classes set up to help me pass those entry test which I'm finnaly down to one test left :) The second thing that makes school easier is the fact that I'm lucky enough to not have to work and support my familly to do it. No I'm not on any aide of some crapy disablillity check. The chips landed in the right spot at the right time for us and our business shot through the roof :) Maybe Chirsmas I can get that SDS :D Now you know why I have so much time on my hands to reply to 5 different forums, actually I need another for our Tahoe that thing is slow on the take off compared to our old one :(

This the last time I reply to this, crap this only about a dual system on a 2.3L and yes the switch is probly more my fault :rolleyes:

StangGrrLy said:
You guys are taking this waaaaaay too far. :rolleyes: LOL

No joke... but you girls knows us guys, we always got a pissing match going on over something:D

Speaking of girls and you being one with a mustang have you checked out this months MM&FF where that girl built that bad a$$ 86' stang that ran like 11's? I think she even welded the cage up :nice:

Well for like 4 years now I have had a Dynomax 2.5" Super Turbo Muffler with a stainless 2.5" over the axle LX 5.0 style pipe. Just on the one side. its pretty bassy and doesnt sound importish at all. Its also pretty loud.
But its time has come. So off comes the Super Turbo and on goes a Hooker AeroChamber. Have one on my Camaro and love it!
As for the dual or not dual. Who cares do what you want its your car. Sometimes I wish I had duals. Yes mainly for looks. But yes also for sound (only cause it would sound more even) But other than that I think it would quiet it down a bit more. As far as flow goes... 2.5" inch exhaust on a non turbo 2.3 it wont be any faster with single or dual. Its just the improvement over the stock crap. I noticed a decent gain from my cold air intake and single muffler and 2.5" piping.

Die thread Die :bang: :D

Well I just have to say one thing...congrats on the Hooker Areochamber :nice:

I want pretend to know which muffler is better but I'm sure most people would agree with me when I say that most aftermarkets are better than most stock mufflers. I just get VERY tied of the same ole Flowmaster muffler and find it nice when people choose to go against the grain and buy something different :D I did the same thing and just got my Hooker Areo last week from Jegs ;)

P.S. I think I'm going to dyno my stock 93' 2.3L and come January I will bolt a set of dual exhaust on my car just to see what the difference really is :rolleyes: Does anyone know where I can dyno my car around West Texas and what they charge? Don't expect this out of my SVO because its a pain to do.

I had duals put on, but I think they serve a useful purpose. I added a 3" downpipe and cat from my turbo a few months. The 3" output of the cat goes directly to where the "Y" weld is at the y pipe. The y pipe splits to dual 2.5" tails. I did not want to run one 3" single exhaust out of the back. The 2.5" tails and ends have a much cleaner look. There is not a restriction at the y because there is no stub beyond the y that is 2.5" pipe. Where it is attached the diameter is basically 2.5" x 2 then it splits. So, the argument that it is all for looks blah, blah, blah is a whole lot of nothing.

Why wash and shine your car if not for looks? If someone wants the duals for the looks alone, that is a personal preference.

ADHD is what you "get" when you don't pay attention in school, not the other way around :D

My two bits: Duals look cool :) My MR2's duals look way better than the single tube sticking out from under the 'Stang. Seems a lot of work to do it that way. I'm tempted to eventually just get an actual MR2 exhaust and bolt it on underneath. The piping diameter is actually quite similar, I think.

Like I said just for the hell of it I'm going to dyno my car with and without duals on a stock 2.3L DIS DP and see what it is. Who knows you could be right are hell you could be wrong :shrug: Once I'm through dynoing the exhaust I'm going to weigh them each and see what the difference realy is :p

this is what i've decided to do with my exhaust...not true duals nor single.
3" down pipe to a 3" pipe to a camaro flowmaster 40 series (3"in dual 3" out).
then dual 3" tails off the muffler. now if i don't go with 3" tailpipes...then i'm going to go with 2.5".

ash...soon to be turbo.....i'm in the process of re-building it right now....and gathering more parts like the intercooler.i know that'd be waayy to much exhaust for a n/a.
btw...anyone know where i can get a volvo ic in great cond. for cheap???

quik87 said:
ash...soon to be turbo.....i'm in the process of re-building it right now....and gathering more parts like the intercooler.i know that'd be waayy to much exhaust for a n/a.
btw...anyone know where i can get a volvo ic in great cond. for cheap???

Ebay has volvo ICs for like 50-75.00 bux from time to time.