4 grand for this?!?! (pics included)

sheff2720

Nov 30, 2003
Horsham, PA
ahhhh!! bad morning.. driving to school and the roads are alittle wet cause its just rained.. so im driving.. and at about the same spot every morning traffic slows down cause its always jammed up.. this morning it happened alittle before where it usually is.. so im starting to slow down.. im going maybe 40mph.. and all of the sudden the car infront of me vears into the left right lane and there i am looking right at the back of a friends lancer.. i hit the brakes and of course wet roads and fox brakes dont mix to well so i slide into him.. but by the time i hit him i wasnt going to fast.. maybe 15mph.. so i get out of the car real pissed.. look at his bumper and theres hardly any damage, just a few paint chips.. so i was pretty happy about that.. and mine didnt seem to be all that bad.. dented hood, bumper, and broken lights, all cosmetic damage.. as i walk over to tell him theres not that much done to his car i see the front of his.. apperently he his the woman in front of him at like 50mph.. totaling his brand new lancer and messing her car up pretty badly.. well anyway the insurence company says i wasnt at fault for the damage i did to his car but that id have to get mine fixed on my own.. not a problem, i was just happy i wasnt going to have to pay to get his bumper repainted.. so i take it to a collision place and the guy looks over the car.. comes back with a parts list and bill totaling 4 grand!!! i included pictures of all the damage.. you guys take a look and tell me if you think this is as rediculous as i do.. sorry for such a long post but i thought id tell the whole story

• Sponsors (?)

thats extremely rediculous with cosmetic damage... get some ultra clear diamond lights off ebay, about 170 for complete set, get a used hood from a junk yard, match paint, doenst look like your bumper is messed up... should be in it for about 300 max

I would just buy the parts and have some-one paint the car. But you do need to check the rad support. Should be able to find a stock for about $50-$75 ,a GT bumper cover for about $100 and new set of light for about $175 or new inner one for about $75. Getting painted will be the most part of it. Just shop around or find some-one who does it on the side.

But $4K for that is outrages IMO.....

yeah 4 grand is ridiculous...he was probably wanting to repaint the entire car. so that the hood would match...but you could probably get that dent pulled. but yeah, 3-400 bucks is all that is gonna take to get fixed

They dont want to mess with it because they wont make any money on it..they want the newer cars with the insurance claims so they can suck the insurance companies dry of money..do you have full coverage or are you paying for this out of your pocket? if your paying for it let them know that..if they dont drop the price, find a company that will..

as shawnster said most autobody shops do only insurance work and dont really touch private stuff.just go get all used stuff and use ebay for the lights. now is a perfect time for a 'glass hood!

cevtv said:
Did you tell him that you are paying for it, and NOT the insurance company?
i didnt tell them yet, but is it gonna make that much of a difference? the only thing i could see coming down is the labor cost which was 2 grand.. the list of parts came out to be 2 grand also.. well im not goin to go there anyway, ill just get all the parts i need and either put them on myself or take them into a local shop

$2000 MAX....

That's including a new aftermarket hood, new OEM bumper cover (or good quality aftermarket), new turn markers, and a damn good quality paint match.... You could do this all under $2000 easily I was just being liberal..

4k my ass $hit was he also gonna install a vortech on that for you too? you could get a full body kit for that and more. like said above time to get a glass hood and some cervinis glass as well make sure the rad support is good then go to town with some cosmetic mods.

P.s. keep us up-dated with some pics of the aftermath. GOOD LUCK!!!

HarleyFordFan said:
as shawnster said most autobody shops do only insurance work and dont really touch private stuff.just go get all used stuff and use ebay for the lights. now is a perfect time for a 'glass hood!

i agree about getting a glass hood! exactly what i was thinking. about body shops not wanting to touch personal stuff, if they're saying that, time to find a new shop. period. i don't care how good they are. find a different one. the body shop i use works on everything from F-50's to Ugo's. they don't care as long as there is $$$$. great people and they do the best work i've every laid eyes on. anyone that can paint an F-50 and make it look stock, without using a computer to color match, is money in the bank, as far as i'm concerned. took me forever to find them.

when i got im my accedent with my 83 vert it was so much worse than that and it cost me about 600$ in parts, and a friend and I painted it at school that costed about 200$ looks fine, 4000 is WAY too much.
i replaced:
hood
right front fender
front bumper cover(with headlight mounting panel)
rear bumper cover
rear bumper reinforcement(with isolaters)
and the gas tank
all for a little under 600 from the junk yeard, all basically brand new except for paint.