4 speed toploader questions

question number 1: what's a good price on one? i've got a lead on one for $450, and i'm wondering if this is a decent deal.

and question number 2: i've got a c-4 in my car right now, if i do swap out for the 4 speed, is that going to give me better highway cruising performance (not be at 3000 rpm at 65 mph) or should i just hold out until i can scrape together the money for a t5? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

The top loader is a good, solid transmission, but it will do absoluterly nothing for your RPm at highway cruising speeds.
the C4 final drive in high gear is 1:1. it is the same in a toploader. you will have the benefit of more choice in the mid range speeds as you have an additional gear. And the fun of slamming gears when you want.

if the end goal is lower RPM at highway speed you might just as well hold out and get your 5 speed,
With the number of people swapping 4sp to 5sp I suspect you could find a toploader for less $$, but I don't know pricing in your area

gtss
:canada:

$450 sound about right offer $375 and see what happens. There was an auction here from a ford restoration shop and he had two toploaders that both sold for over $800. The toploader will help you highway rpm by about 200 rpms over the C4. Even though both transmissions have a final drive of 1:1. the C4 has a torque converter that does not lock up and you will always have about 200 rpms lost to slipage. If you have less than a grand to spend on the swap do the 4-speed, you will love it. If you can swing the t-5 make sure you get a T5z with the 2.95 first gear. It is the only one that will hold up to punishment.

If you are interested, I have toploader (2.78 first) with a brand new competition plus Hurst shifter. I know it is all good as I took it out of my car to do a T5z swap. also have a Lakewood steel bellhousing for the same all for sale.

I agree. After all the mods I have done, the T5z and the Rack and Pinion are by far the best for drivability and just plain enjoyment. By the way the 2.95 first will make you beleive you have an addtional 75 horses under the hood