4 WHEEL 5-LUG DISC CONVERSION ADVICE

cmb91LX

Apr 20, 2004
Memphis
I need help. I am going to convert a 91 LX 5liter car to 4 wheel 5lug disc brakes. I can perform the swap BUT I need suggestions and past experiences with the different types of this conversion ( SN95, piece meal salvage yard, catalog, etc). I will be running either 17x9 or 18x9 rear bullets and 17x8 front bullets if that helps. Also what is the biggest tire I can comfortably fit with this combo, front and rear, and a good set of progressive rate springs? Cost is a concern to some extent but you know,we all want the best most proven pieces, right?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have more money than time, then getting a kit is the easiest way to go. But if you want to run 17x9 or 18x9 wheels, then you really should stick with the stock width rear setup, not the 94-98 SN95 axle setup, unless you want to order special offset wheels. 17x9 will not easily fit a Fox with the .75" longer SN95 axles. Most of the kits are centered around the stock SN95 axle setups, either the Ford M2300K kit or the used kits from www.stangparts.com.

Read through Matt's page if you haven't already: http://svo73mm.cjb.net He covers almost everything on the various conversions.

If you want to run 9" wheels all around, you really need the 94-95 front spindles to keep the stock track, and for the rear, either the www.northracecars.com stock width brake brackets, the modified Mark VII brackets, or you can modify the SN95 brackets to mount behind the flange to use the shorter Ranger/ Aerostar/ Ford 5 lug Fox length axles. (I have that thread bookmarked on my work PC) Any of these options would work to keep the width the same as the Fox.

As far as tire width, I'm running 255-40-17s on my 8" wheels all around. I have the 95 spindles and the Mark VII rear brakes. I could easily run a 9" wheel and probably 275 tires out back with removing the quad shocks.

If you are a good shopper, you can get the SN95 setup for as cheap as $600 for the front and back, plus some for a MC, adapters, ebrakes, etc. I know a guy that sells the brake setups for around that price. I spent about that much for everyting but the wheels & tires since I used the cheaper Mark VII setup and shopped around for the best deals over 6 months.

READ Matt's website on your options and let us know if you have any questions.

Good luck!