Fox My 4 to 5 lug journey..

I removed the 3rd member from my housing as I have come up with a different idea with the brake lines...
Purchased a doo hickey ( for the brake lines) from Currie Enterprises that was going to be more work than I wanted to do.... In the right install this Currie product would work well....
After thinking about it ( and realizing I had new brake lines for the Rear end) I wondered if I could mount the lines on the 9 inch like they were on the 7.5, ........ I mean the dimensions should be the same, or fairly close, and all I would have to do is drill and tap a hole ( which was the reason to remove the 3rd member) into the axle housing for the retainer/brakeline/vent....
DSCF1227.JPG
DSCF1228.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The housing came with a vent/retainer hole in it but its on the wrong side.... If I can get this to line up with how this car was from the factory, it will make my life much simpler...
Yes, using new drum brakes for the rear.. They are 11" vs the 9" that are on the 7.5.. Using drums on the rear will hopefully make this swap easier for a simple person like me..... It looks like the stock emergency brake cables will work with these brakes, another bonus in my opinion...
DSCF1232.JPG
DSCF1229.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, so I am trying to use the stainless brake lines that came in the " kit " I purchased for the car... Not my original plan as I assumed I would use the Currie part and build my own from the nickel/copper that are supposed to be easy to work with....
I held the lines up to my old 7.5 and they looked well made and looked like they would be bolt on....
First "difference" on the 9" is where the lines connect to the wheel cylinders it is NOT flat, there is an angle to the line connection point... No big deal, a few tweaks here and there and it looks like its going to work....
But where the brake hose/Vent union is, we have a bigger problem...
Looks like the 9" housing is shorter than the 7.5".... I assume the more important dimension is where the axle/wheel mounting area dimension is so I am not too worried about this being a bigger problem just yet.... I do not have a way to measure this as I am usually by myself when working on the car.....
I refit these lines to the 7.5 inch and they looked about as perfect as it gets, so the difference must be in the 9" housing length...

I am going to use the dimension from the longer ( drivers side ) line as that gets the " hole " in the axle tube vs the center housing.... So I need to either cut or micky mouse the shorter line.....
Some of you might have seen my other post here about the poor fit of the new stainless liine where the front to rear line attaches to the across the fire wall line.... I have found a Hydraulic shop in town that can machine cut and double flair it for me ( not done yet so keeping fingers crossed) so I might do the same thing with the shorter brake line on the housing here...... I would like the job to look decent and not like some Ricky Bobby did the brake line.....
Thats it for now......
DSCF1231.JPG

DSCF1234.JPG

Last edited:
Another picture... You can see how the brake line is " tweaked" to fit the angled wheel cylinder vs the flat one on the original 7.5"...Ignore the brass vent fitting.... I will probably put a plug in that opening.....
DSCF1233.JPG

Ok, I know everyone wants to see one of the Steeda lower control arms ready for the housing install.... Loosely installed, I will not tighten until installation is done and its at ride height..... Waiting for my stock upper control arms and the H&R springs to ship.......
I want to get my brake lines done before the rear is installed.....
Nice job of centering this pic, don't you think? LOL Old fat man crawling around under the car..... I use the " gray hair" card whenever I can....
DSCF1235.JPG

Last edited:
  • Haha
That brake line doesn’t look too bad, as long as you have a way to secure it to the tube, similar to how the 8.8 and I guess the 7.5 are. Once it’s locked down I’d think it’s be fine.
Those are some purrrty control arms for sure!
Gonna be a nice little ride when you’re done!

Ok, I know everyone wants to see one of the Steeda lower control arms ready for the housing install.... Loosely installed, I will not tighten until installation is done and its at ride height..... Waiting for my stock upper control arms and the H&R springs to ship.......
I want to get my brake lines done before the rear is installed.....
Nice job of centering this pic, don't you think? LOL Old fat man crawling around under the car..... I use the " gray hair" card whenever I can....
DSCF1235.JPG
Ahhhhh, you have hair?

If I remember my conversation with Jack Hidley at MM, having poly bushings on both ends will cause binding so having the spherical on the one end is a plus.

Reactions: 1 users
Both are correct.

No.. I ordered them with poly bushings on both ends, but they came like this..... EVERYONE on this site told me to keep these as they are the ones to use??
DSCF0960.JPG
Lemme know how much more road noise you end up with. Who made those LCAs? They look like the Steeda pieces.

Waiting for 5 weeks so far on my BO rear springs...... I want to finish up the bottom of the car before I lower it and finish the engine compartment...
More pics soon I hope....
I did get the HVAC and Pedal supports reinstalled with new firewall insulation....
DSCF1271.JPG
DSCF1059.JPG

Last edited:
Two questions from my last post
Is the wiring supposed to come OVER or UNDER the top of the " shake" support bar on the left side?
Why does the heater control cable go to the pass side? Are you supposed to loop it UP or Down to connect to the controls?
Thanks