4 to 5 lug adapters?

30Tunes

Jan 12, 2023
BayArea, Ca
I see they make hubcentric adapters that make a 4 lug into a 5 lug. Wondering what others think about these. I would never run them if they didnt bolt to the original studs and just slid on. But from my past experience I had no issues with them on my 240sx. And I was drifting and beating the :poo: out of that car. I just plan on driving normally with the mustang. I know most people are going to say go 5 lug with genuine parts but this is just temporary to show off my new wheels . Let me know, thanks!
50.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The reason you don't see bolt on spacers typically used on Fox bodies is because they add a lot of extra width. The bolt on type spacers tend to be 1" or so thick because you bolt on to the 4-lug axle, and then the spacer needs thickness to hold the 5 lugs to the wheel.

Most fox guys want to run big wheels, 9" wide or more, and to do this and not hit the fenders, you need to pull the wheel in as far as it will go. So spacers in general on the rear tend to be rare. All depends on the wheel offset of course.

You are definitely not going to fit those particular wheels under a fox with spacers out back. You need those wheels sucked in as much as possible to clear the fender lips. In fact, when you convert to rear disk brakes, you need to use the offset caliper brackets just to pull them in far enough to work.

a bolt-on type spacer is going to result in the wheel sticking out significantly.

Same in the front. Pushing the front wheels out increases the steering arc which will result in the wheels rubbing the fenders.

Getting 18x9 and 18x10's on a fox is tough as it is. Spacers just makes the problem worse.

Convert to 5-lug drum out back and put together an Sn95 front setup. With rear drums, no need to change the MC. Use some 99-04 dual piston calipers and pedal feel should be close to stock

Last edited:
You will be lucky if those wheels fit right without the spacers.
Tire size is going to have to be perfect.
So with them, you pretty much have zero chance.

Same advise here. To run those wheels with spacers you'd have to run widebody flares on all 4 corners. Would also need to trim the bottom of the front fender ahead of the tires. You could run them with 94- 95 spindles, 99- 04 front brakes, 5 lug fox length rear axles, and 94 ford ranger drums. If you use 96- 98 spindles thet will push the front wheels out but not hateful, but steering geometry will be messed up unless you have a Maximum Motorsports K member. You'll need to take a BFH to the rear inner tubs, roll the rear quarter lips, ditch the quad shocks, and run aftermarket lower control arms in the rear ( if you want to get a 295+ wide tire in the back )

It's been about 15 years since I had a solid rear axle on a fox. I miss wide tires in the back. I'm stuck with 265s until I do a hard tail conversion.

You can get 18x10.5's to fit in the rear with SN95 axles but you are not likely doing it with off the shelf wheels or custom offset / BS wheels with the BFH treatment to the wheel wells and rolling the piss out of the fender lips. Two ways I know of are some Tiger Racing rear flares which will require body work and paint or just mini tub that sumbeotch = badassery. By all of this when I say fit I mean tires under the sheet metal with suspension articulation room not some tire flush to the sheet metal and any kind of rubbing when the suspension moves bull:poo:.

Nice Coupe by the way :nice:

Last edited:
Thanks Aero. my first notch, I've had all the rest of em. So if I go the standard sn swap I wont have any issues with the wheels I have in particular? They came off of a fox. Thank you all for the insight! I've always ran 4 lug

You would need to do 94-95 spindles up front with SN brakes, and either drums or modified (for the narrower fox offset) SN disks out back.

Even with that brake setup, an 18x9/18x10 FR500 setup is going to fit tight. Tire size will be the difference between just fitting, or massive rub.

Reactions: 1 user
Every car is a little different. So are tires.
Then you have what each person will tolerate. For me? I have no tolerance for rubbing and or destroying tires.
You probably aren't going to know exactly how they fit until you put them on the car.
I've spent years experimenting to get to zero issues.
Bottom line is a 9 inch wheel on the front is alot, so is a 10 out back. That's 3 inches wider than an original wheel.
Good chance your fronts are going to hit the fender or the A arm and the back will almost certainly rub the fender necessitating at least fender rolling.
My 8.5 front rims hit the A arms, which MM front control arms solved.
Then you have aggressive cornering in which a standard 4 link will literally move inches (which is why i bought a panhard bar in the first place).
Let's not forget about tail pipes and quad shocks either.
Nothing is a sure thing with 10's, a better bet would have been 4-9in wheels and like a 265 tire.

Man, now you guys got me sad thinking I just wasted money on these rims haha. There's nothing I can run to make these wheels fit good? I'm not interested in rolling fenders or altering the body in any way. Thanks again for all the replies. Wish I did this prior to spending so much money on wheels and tires

What is the backspace or offset on the rims? Can they fit, maybe, depends on backspace with the 10's and rear axles used. Fronts shouldn't take too much.

I have a Saleen Reps, 18x9 with a 24mm offset all around. Fronts are 255/35/18, rears are 275/35/18 (I will likely put a 285 or 295 on these rims next time).

I have stock foxbody front control arms moved inward 1/2" with 96+ spindles and XTS calipers and 14" front rotors and LS rear calipers on a 11.81 rear rotor. I have fox length axles. I did roll my rear fender lips. I have no rubbing front or rear.

20220523_170649.jpg 20210703_210631.jpg

I needed a 8mm spacer to prevent the rim from hitting my coil-overs (without the coil overs I don't think I would need spacers). I put the same 8mm spacers on the rear as well because it looked better and I had the room.

20220129_104649.jpg
This is my clearance with the spacer.

If they are aftermarket wheels there should be numbers on the backside of the spokes. Usually, you can find the offset there. The rim size and width will be 18 x 10 the backspacing will be et ??

If there aren't any numbers you can lay something straight across the back of the rim and measure down to the center of the rim where the wheel meets the rotor. The measurement we'd need from there will be in inches.

Screenshot_20230115_211352_Chrome.jpg

Backspacing or offset is needed for us to tell you if the wheels will actually fit.

The wheels on the front of my car are 50mm offset with a 13mm hub centric and a 8mm spacer. That makes my front offset 29mm. My wheels are 18 x 8.5. If I used an adapter it would be 1 inch thick ( roughly 26mm ). That would make my 50mm wheel 24mm offset pushing it out an additional 5mm. more than my current set up. Offset or backspacing are the most important numbers to know about your wheels. That's how we can tell how far inside or outside the wheel will sit in the wheel well.

You can't just go by tire sizes.
They literally fit like shoes. Some brands run narrow and others wide.
Then you have how the tire fits on the rim.
If the rim is too narrow, the tire bulges, if the rim is too wide it stretches (i've run stretched tires, not only do i hate the look, you are one curb away from destroying your wheels).

People get too caught up in tires sizes, nobody notices a tire that's 20mm wider or more narrow.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I've found doing it "right" the first time is generally half the work. Subjective, but I've worked on these cars since the late 90s and have learned a lot of lessons the hard way.

Reactions: 1 user