408 hp/ driveability question?

mx106

May 16, 2005
upstate ny
hey guys, still new to this game. I'm putting together a 408 forged stroker with 9.5:1 compression, ford z304 assembled heads, port matched trick flow R series, with comp xe282 camshaft, 42lb injectors, and pro-m 80mm. Am I going to be able run my factory eec (1993) computer, without a pickyback, and if so how will driveability be (anyone with experience). Not super important, but has anyone run a similar combo, and how is the car on the street with a stroked 408? Any dynoed 408 mustangs, and what kind of power?

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't just put something like this together and expect the stock ECU to handle it very well...you need to get it tuned. Once it's tuned i wouldn't think it would be too terrible.

Well, a handheld can get you there if you know what you're doing, but i don't know about driving it until then. You're talking about big injectors, bigger TB, way more cubes...all the while the ECU is playing it out like it's a 302 with 19lb'ers. It would probably run rich as hell without tuning.

If you can swing it a tuner or atleast a chip is truly needed. At idle the 42# inj are dumping a lot of fuel in which could wash the cylinder walls out and cause issues. I just finished tuning a customers 414ci motor that makes 465RWHP and it drives like a stock mustang and is 100% streetable. I would suggest a custom cam however over the XE you have picked...best of both worlds. FWIW- I used a PMS on my customers 94.

are 42lb injectors too big for my application, or would i have better driveability with say 36lb injectors?

It's all in the tune. My bud's 347 has 42's and they even told him they're a bit overkill but the tune took care of it and he now has room to grow if he ever gets a blower or nitrous.

what tuner do you recommend?

just wondering what tuner you folks recommend for a modified fox? my good friend and i have a lot of experience with the aem system on his viper/ blown v10 truck, and i know they sell a plug in kit for the fox. i also see a lot of you using the anderson pms kit. is this a relatively easy tuner to use (does it have auto tune functions)? any advise/experience would be great.