408 or turbo for high alttitude

Icey101

Mar 2, 2008
I recently purchased my next play car. It is a near bone stock auto notch, only mods are catless h-pipe(have stock one) and flow masters. I am really having hard time figuring out what to do with this car. I have been looking at building a mild 408 or getting turbo kit and slapping it on basicly stock 302 motor. The biggest fear I have is emissions testing, that I will be required to do every two years. Also the fact that I live a 5k feet above sea level. I really would like to be putting down around 400-500 rwhp.

For the hp I am looking at the turbo would seem to be the way to go, except every turbo kit under $4k requires removal of the smog pump...making emissions a pain. Would a 408 be able pass emissions and make the power I am looking for at this alttitude, and not use a power adder? I have came close couple times to just ordering shortblock and parts...saying screw it...and hope for the best. But my wife would kill me.

This car will not be daily driven, and will just be weekend play toy that will see couple open track sessions and drag strip runs a year. More than likely the transmission will be swapped out for TKO600 or maybe astro geared T5.

• Sponsors (?)

I would suspect that a turbo car would be less effected by the altitude. They have been using turbo's specifically for this application for a while now. (Think airplane engines and diesel trucks)

The turbo essentially creates its own "atmosphere" I would think you would have an easier time passing emissions with the turbo car. The tune on the 408 car would have to be spot on....to get it to pass emissions. Not to mention a very conservative custom cam!

good luck man