408w which air intake?

liquid_02

Sep 10, 2006
Ok so, I've just finished spending about 7 grand on building this motor, and now the simplest thing is puzzling me. What air intake to go with that will have a large enough diameter tubing for my MAF and T/B (i'm keeping the car injected).

For those of you who care, Here is the motor:

408w w/ all forged internals w/22cc pistons
Victor Jr. Heads
Hooker Long tubes
Comp Cams custom roller cam (.571/260)
Comp 1.6 Hi-Tek Roller Rockers
TFS R-series 75mm intake
Accufab 75mm T/B
PMAS 80mm MAF
Canton 7qt Oil Pan
42# injector
Mallory Fuel Rail/Regulator
HV Oil Pump
Comp billet Timing chain/gears
and of course Tweecer

Following it a T-56 trans (non viper) and a 9" Rear w/ trak-lok w/ 3.55's (still building the rear)

Anyways, so I need an air intake with a duct big enough for my 80mm MAF, I have a MAC kit on the car right now (with the 5.0 in it) but the car's in storage so I can't measure it, but I believe it's about 70mm that one, as it fit my holley 70mm t/b perfect if i remember. Nobody says how big their ducting is so I don't want to buy then find out it's too small.

Thanks in advance guys

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need a 4" power pipe if you have a 75mm throttle body. All you need is a 3" cold air intake, which even the cheapest cold air intakes are. Don't bother with an expensive cold air intake if all you have is a 75mm throttle body.

I went with a 4" CLT intake on my 408...You can see it in my progress thread in my sig. I have a 90mm throttle body on my TFS Box R intake manifold however, so it was actually worth while.

Keep you Mac intake, it will work fine...It's not worth the expense unless you upgrade to a intake with a 90mm throttle body opening and a 90mm throttle body.

I would use Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake. Yes I know that is not a EFI intake just tap it for fuel injector bungs. holley part number 534-83. You will also need an intake elbow to mount your throttle body.

I would use Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake. Yes I know that is not a EFI intake just tap it for fuel injector bungs. holley part number 534-83. You will also need an intake elbow to mount your throttle body.

Holy Cow!
EFI intakes require a very different design compared to carburated concerning laminar and boundary layers in airflow.

Below IMO is all too true.
If I were to build an efi, it would have the TFS R box/Canfield EFI/Super Victor EFI and as big a TB as I could buy at the time.

You don't need a 4" power pipe if you have a 75mm throttle body.
I have a 90mm throttle body on my TFS Box R intake manifold however, so it was actually worth while.

Keep you Mac intake, it will work fine...It's not worth the expense unless you upgrade to a intake with a 90mm throttle body opening and a 90mm throttle body.