40P'S Only Flow 15% Better Then Stockers?

NIIIIICE

Feb 25, 2003
I read that on the board the other day for an extra 30HP is it really worth the time and money using these heads or would you be better off saving for better heads?....I thinking of jsut dropping in my cam and intake and headers and maybe next winter putting in some real heads, or would it make more sense to wait and do it all at once....i have a 94GT vert with 40k and its totally a summer cruiser, im more looking for a good sounding car then a 1/4 car...or maybe take the money for the heads and do springs and a lite bar with tonneau cover, any comments guys?

• Sponsors (?)

i say wait till you have the better heads. the only reason i say it is. no reason to do a cam and pay for the labor to take the heads off and put back on again. if your going to pay again to take the old heads off and put the new heads on. your just double dipping on labor costs.

if you can do it yourself would you then suggest throwing in the cam?
the heads are atleast a yr away and im hoping to get a nice sound with just adding the cam for now....

Well.. my car originally dynoed at 180rwhp when it was near stock... I think all I had was the flowmaster catback... Well with P's, cam, intake,full exhaust.. ect.. I'm up to 271rwhp, and 303tq... running rich up top.. I'm hoping to make 280-285rwhp with my re-tune.... So.. I would say a 90-100rwhp gain isn't bad for a crappy set of iron heads.. :)

people just dont now what Ps can do.....

there a reason people go so fast on them. they are damn good heads

just go look at street warrior class and similar classes that require ford heads

if it were all about flow numbers, we'd just port the living crap out of our existing heads and call it a day. flow numbers are just ONE way to compare a head's power potential.

the plug location and flow characteristics are what differentiate the P's from E7's and even the normal GT40's.

if you are going to do the work yourself, you won't be disappointed.

P heads are very good heads and i was gonna go with them myself for a while but you can buy a good set of used aluminum heads for $3-400 more. Now i am going with some ported TFS TW's. But look on corral.net and do a search on Darkpony he made 299rwhp with P heads, AFM cam, and a cobra intake. Don't overlook the capabilites of these heads. Just my 2 cents.

Killer95Stang said:
Well.. my car originally dynoed at 180rwhp when it was near stock... I think all I had was the flowmaster catback... Well with P's, cam, intake,full exhaust.. ect.. I'm up to 271rwhp, and 303tq... running rich up top.. I'm hoping to make 280-285rwhp with my re-tune.... So.. I would say a 90-100rwhp gain isn't bad for a crappy set of iron heads.. :)

This is not a knock to the P heads but you did NOT gain 90-100rwhp from just the heads! You added "cam, intake, full exhaust, etc" so I'd say you added a LOT more than just the heads and got much more power than they would have given you by themselves. Granted, the heads were probably the largest factor but no way in hell did they give you 90-100rwhp alone. Your post admits that without me having to say anything. ;)

But for the money, yeah they are awesome. I don't get it, because they don't seem that much better than stock E7's on paper...but you get a good combo together and the real world results don't lie. There are people who spent much more on aluminum heads going slower than P headed cars! :shrug: