418w/4r70w/U4PO ? pms tweecer ?

Xtreme Limits

Founding Member
Nov 30, 2001
Hudson, Florida
i have two questions first, i have a 418w and a 4r70w tranny from a 2000 v6 mustang that has all the wires/harness on the tranny, and i just got a 94 mustang computer U4PO (still need to buy the eec / engine harness, an mabey the tranny harness out of a 94-95 auto mustang)....
my question is how do i hook up the 4r70w tranny to the U4PO, can i use the harness thats on the tranny and splice the wires from the eec U4PO....

this combo will be going into a 2000 v6 convertiable....

i was going to buy a AFM PMS, witch PMS do i need for the 94 U4PO computer, is it the PMS94 , and with the PMS94 can i adjust my shift point, or firmness, etc... ?

what can the PMS94 do with a auto tranny, and whats the diffrence from the PMS for 87-93 mustangs, on andersons website it tell you what the 87-93 PMS can do, but what can the 94-95 PMS do?

i want to get the PMS , but i know that in tweecer u can adjust tranny settings so i was tinking of getting it over the PMS, but if the PMS can adjust the tranny i would rather have the PMS... i was going to get the Baumannator TCS, but if the PMS can adjust tranny settings i want the PMS.....

• Sponsors (?)

I know nothing about automatic transmissions :shrug:

I would suggest you use the name of Don 95Vert to search in the
tech and tuning 94-95 forums ;)

Pretty sure I remembering seeing him talk about this topic before :shrug:

Grady

You will need the tranny harness out of a 94-95 - it'll plug into the main harness out of the 94-95. The main harness can be from a manual or auto, but the auto tranny harness must be from an auto car. Don't splice things, the harness is a very clean way to do it.

You'll also need a valve body harness (in the pan) from a 94-95 as the later VB connector is a one-piece plastic connector. Also swap out to 94-95 shift solenoids and a 94-95 converter clutch solenoid as they are a different style connector. The CCS is VERY critical because the later ones are of a different impedence and will either fry the solenoid or the PCM or both if you try to use it in an earlier Mustang. You'll also need a TOT sensor in the pan as the later plastic connectors use an intergral TOT. You can use the later EPC solenoid, in fact, you should. But it won't mate to the earlier VB harness, so you need to clip the connector for it off the harness and solder directly (carefully) to the solenoid or use small spade connectors if you can find them. You CAN rewire the '99 and up style VB connector harness to work with a 94-95, but it is fairly complicated and you still MUST use the 94-95 CCS and its connector is NOT compatible with the plastic connector.

Sounds awful but it is really no big deal.

You are 1000% better staying with the U4P0 processor and TwEECer or getting a custom chip rather than a PMS... Same for the Baumanator - it does not have any flexibility in the converter lockup area and this slows you down quite a bit.

Don

ok so im going to go with TwEECer, ive been doing alot of reading an it seems to be my best bet, as far as tuneing its alittle more indeep then the PMS, but i think i can take the time to try tweeking the settings for my 418w engine, its just going to take sometime to learn, as far as the tranny settings with tweecer, ive read up and think i know how to adjust some of the settings for how i want to make my tranny shift, e.i. for my setup i want to make the tranny shift at 6000-6300rpm, my cam redlines at 6600rpm, so ill raise the rev limiter to 7000rpm, and set my msd boxxes revlimiter to 67-6800rpm....... So i guess im going tweecer!

ok now as far as my tranny goes, if i found a brunt up 94-95/aode tranny, could i just take that valve body and bolt it to the 4r70w tranny, or is the aode valve body diffrent or weaker then the 4r70w ?

anyways i think i mite do what u said Don....

btw if anyone has or know where i can find a,
auto tranny harness out of a 94-95, and a main harness out of the 94-95 auto tranny , and a 94-95 5.0/5.8 v8 engine harness....

i got my U4PO eec off ebay, im looking there for the harnesses, but if anyone has all the harnesses form doing a tranny swap, or just has it left over from a reaked car 94-95 auto...