450-500 rwhp

huckermcshingle

Jun 30, 2004
Looking to build up a 302 motor, 450-500 rwhp. I need it to be affordable and dependable. No nitrous. Blower?? Maybe. 347 stroker is fine too. I'm interested in the guys out there that already have a motor built up that is close to what I am looking for as far as horsepower goes. If you like what you have, let me know what your setup is. I'm going to be using this for a road race car/daily driver.

• Sponsors (?)

a 302 with that much HP and also a reliable engine would probably need an aftermarket block and forged crank. i have heard that over time, stroker motors cylinders turn egg shaped do to the tight angles of the rods and pistons.

Looking for a reliable 450-500rwhp motor that is affordable, wish I could help, if you find a way to do it post it up for the rest of us :rlaugh: A blown 302 can make those #'s pretty easily, but dont expect it to last built cheap or with stock parts.
mike.

FWIW, my flywheel #'s in sig should be 500+/- rwhp n/a, and should be reliable. NOT CHEAP.

I just got my car dyno tuned and put out 450 RWHP. I have a fresh rebuilt stock 89' 302 shortblock with some arp studded mains, speedpro rings, high volume oil pump. I used all out of the box parts but I also have a blower too which i think you would need to make these numbers unless you go more cubes. Either way its not going to be cheap or very reliable unless you spend mucho money on a stronger block. I would recommend my combo, I drive it daily and it drives real nice. For road racing though you might want to spend more on stronger internals. A rough guess as to how much I spent on just the motor and blower would have to be $5,500-6,000. motor~3500 + blower~2000. Look in my sig for combo.

DirtyD916 said:
shouldnt your 1.4 mile be time be higher K.C.90GT?

Yea they should be! :D . You probably didnt read just above my times but those numbers are when i had the stock longblock with just the blower. I still have not gone to the track yet with new motor yet because i dont have a cage/harness/dssl/etc yet. If I went to the track now, they would kick me out after the first run or whenever they decide to inspect my car for safety stuff.

i'm just running a .30 over 302 with flat top pistons and RPM heads shaved for compression and box stock intake and a custom cam. if i can get these numbers out of a 302/306 you should be able to get pretty close with a heavily built 408 widsor.

dastang2 said:
a 302 with that much HP and also a reliable engine would probably need an aftermarket block and forged crank. i have heard that over time, stroker motors cylinders turn egg shaped do to the tight angles of the rods and pistons.

...Actually the stock block handles 450rwhp quite nicely and a cast crank will withstand much more power then 600 rwhp. Strokers do not turn your cylinders into a egg shape.

Id recommend looking into Coast High Performance or DSS racing for one of their basic stroker kits, non forged cranks, possibly fogred h-beam rods and forged pistons. You could buy a long block, short block, or stroker kit and do the work yourself. Either wan you going to need a power added to achieve that 450rwhp goal. Most people choose vortech when using a supercharger, however, turbo is an option. Pro turbi kits and HP performance make some really nice bolt on turbo kits for our cars, do some research and check out some other boards for some more opinions. Good luck

5.0 HOtrain said:
Looking for a reliable 450-500rwhp motor that is affordable, wish I could help, if you find a way to do it post it up for the rest of us :rlaugh: A blown 302 can make those #'s pretty easily, but dont expect it to last built cheap or with stock parts.
mike.

FWIW, my flywheel #'s in sig should be 500+/- rwhp n/a, and should be reliable. NOT CHEAP.

I love your avatar, everytime I see it I laugh :rlaugh:

sirsureshot39 said:
...Actually the stock block handles 450rwhp quite nicely and a cast crank will withstand much more power then 600 rwhp.

With a GREAT tune and NO hint of detenation it may last. You will still see cap walk, and copper in the oil. The crank may take that kind of horsepower, but put some stress on the front of it, like a blower pulley and they DO snap the end off. Like I said, they make that power pretty easily and thats a testament to how great they are. But.....they are only that great to a ceartain point with stock parts.
mike.