450 hp / T56 Still Stock, What Gear?

Through all the mods I've starting doing, the bulk of which has happened only in the last six months, I've held off on gears because I knew I'd be doing the auto/ manual swap and all the other power stuff. I finally got to drive my car yesterday after the latest round of mods. The car has the stock first gear and it's a little too tall. For you bike guys...... it feels exactly like driving a 600cc. It moves like a bat of hell in the upper rpms but underneath that rolling on it doesn't have alot. 3rd gear, 1800 rpm roll on just doesn't do it, I could write a dissertation on global warming in the time it takes to get to the boost. I knew it would be to tall but I just wanted to see for myself before I had my guy replace them, and talk to you guys to see what combo's your using and happy with.

My car makes 450 hp and 400 tq right now. The t56 started life as a stock cobra tranny, it has been modified but gear ratios should still be the same. (input shafts and a bunch of stuff were beefed up, none of that should change the ratio's right :shrug: not a tranny guy:() I'd like to get into the boost a little quicker but do not want to sacrifice highway because I will see alot of it.

What gears are you guys running with your t56 and are you happy with them? I hope gears will make a big difference in the time it takes to get to the boost. Waiting sux...:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

What ratio rearend do you currently have (3.27:1?) and what's the 6th gear ratio?

A simple solution that you can implement right now for free is downshift and don't roll form 1800 RPMs :D No gear is going to change the fact that a centrifugal blower doesn't make much boost at low RPMs.

3.27:shrug: bought the car and its the stock gear so I think that's it......and I'm not sure what the ratio the cobra 6th gear is either...I'll do some looking:D

and ya, my hope is just to pep it up a little and get to the boost a little quicker. Even in the right gear it just seems it takes too long to get there.

I like my 3.73's but if i was building strictly a street car i would have gone with 4.10's. The 3.73's are nice because you don't run out of gear at the 1/4 mile track but there again down low it takes a little while to get into boost range where-as 4.10's are gonna put you into boost faster but you will run out of gear at the track....its really depends on what you want; your going to have to sacrifice track times with the 4.10s but you will feel the boost faster...

Either way gears will help a LOT, i know exactly what you are saying because I started out with 3.27's after i got my supercharger and let me tell you the gears really woke it up a lot!

With 4.10 and 4.30, you will run out of gear at the track. Get 3.73 or some nitrous would help out your torque curve! Also, you could ways get a positive displacement blower!

4th gear in the t56 is the same as a t45, 1:1. You could shift to fifth, but I'm sure that will hurt your 1/4 time. There are calculator on the net that can tell you your speed given rear ratio, rpm, trans ratio, and tire size. Your trans ratios can be found onthe net too.

4th gear in the t56 is the same as a t45, 1:1. You could shift to fifth, but I'm sure that will hurt your 1/4 time. There are calculator on the net that can tell you your speed given rear ratio, rpm, trans ratio, and tire size. Your trans ratios can be found onthe net too.

Yea but the t56 is a 6spd, So 5th gear isnt overdrive like on the t45's and t5's...right?