4R70W Buildup

I want to strengthen my 4R70W on my 04 GT. Its getting a KB 2.1L installed as we speak. Right now the tranny is purely stock. I know I want to get a 2400-2600 stall converter installed but should I also install a built valvebody with a larger tranny fluid pan or do you think I shouldn't even bother building up the tranny? I plan on leaving the car alone performance wise after the KB is installed.

• Sponsors (?)

do the j-mod to the trans. if you look on TCCOAs webpage they have a full write-up on it. flush the fluid often with Mercon V fluid. a deeper pan and the largest cooler you can find, as well as extra filters are all good. change out the stock filter. there are also some other mods that include putting a line to the tailshaft housing to ensure proper lubrication there.

the transmission is pretty stout stock. as sugested, do the J-mod. a trans cooler is a must. a larger pan isn't needed. you can upgrade the clutches if you want more power capacity. make sure to get a triple disc torque convertor.

All good advice above. And just to add, going with anything less than a converter that stalls below 2,800-3,000RPM is a waste of time and money....even with a car running a positive displacement blower. My converter stalls at about 2,800RPM and it's barely noticeable compared to stock. Get a good triple disk unit or heavily fortified large surface single disk unit (like the one i've got) and spend your money right. :nice:

yes a triple disc is mostly recommended for any nitrous/FI cars - the smaller the diameter the better. Go above 3000rpm for sure, i have a 3200 and would even want more, but it's a strict DD. Heat is going to be your biggest problem after putting in a TC and any type of shift kit or J-mod. Bigger pan isn't needed but doesn't hurt. Use a large stacked plate tranny cooler and mount it in front of your condensor (there are two holes in your bumper frame already that are a bit large but work well w/ large washers). I also ran an external 3/8" nipple line filter on route to the cooler to be safe. Also make sure to use a fluid that can handle to temp, so any synthetic. Either Mercon V which depending on who u ask is a semi-syn or full syn or use Mobil 1 full syn (this is what i use) your going to need 13 quarts w/ the new cooler lines in, so be prepared to drop $100 just on fluid, lol. GL, should be bad ass!