5.0 cranks

194stang

Aug 11, 2003
Are all late model 5.0 cranks the same? by that I mean the HO has a different firing order than the regular 5.0. Is the diff in the camshaft phasing or are the cranks physically different?

• Sponsors (?)

bimmertech said:
your camshaft controls your firing order. 5.0 ho and 351w share the same firing order, and i'm pretty sure all the cranks were the same for ho motors, although i was wrong that one time.lol

ditto.

Always check to make sure your clearances are within spec, never assume anything.
Scott

Umm... honestly this is something I never even thought of before, but I can assure you that the cam doesn't dictate the firing order itself. I mean think about it, the firing order goes in the sequence of which piston is near TDC when the plug fires (compression stroke)... the crank dictates the firing order, but the cam must be matched so the valves are opening and closing when they should with relation to the piston. From my limited knowledge on the subject, I would think that the HO crank is indeed different since the HO 5.0 follows the firing order of the 351, and not the regular 302 order. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how I could be.

Killercanary said:
Umm... honestly this is something I never even thought of before, but I can assure you that the cam doesn't dictate the firing order itself. I mean think about it, the firing order goes in the sequence of which piston is near TDC when the plug fires (compression stroke)... the crank dictates the firing order, but the cam must be matched so the valves are opening and closing when they should with relation to the piston. From my limited knowledge on the subject, I would think that the HO crank is indeed different since the HO 5.0 follows the firing order of the 351, and not the regular 302 order. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how I could be.

not so much cuz you could grind the cam to fire on companion cylinders. just take a look at chevy cams that come with a revised firing order to reduce heat soak, plenum depletion on the drivers side, they do not change cranks, just cams. being that there are two cyl at tdc at the same time there could be err 16?(math no good me ugg) diff firing orders for a v8 engine. hope that makes sense.