5.0 help

94GTHO

Jul 21, 2005
Richmond, Va
i am looking to buy a 94 GT and i test drove one that is exactly what i want. :D But when i put the pedal down and the rpms got up there, at a certain point it felt like it lost power or something. I was just wondering if this is how it is supposed to work or if there is a problem with the motor :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It should have good power & pick up all the way through 7,250 RPM's. :D J/K! Yeah, that would be nice.

My car is like that, but it goes dead in higher RPM's, so I guess that's normal. What are you turning when it does this?

94TURBO5 O said:
If you don't powershift as soon as you lift on the gas pedal the EEC will pull timing. Drive it again and powershift it and you will feel a difference.

eh i wouldn't do that, way too hard on the car....are u test driving the car alone? Id pull the ebrake and attempt to take the keyout b4 id let anyone powershift my car

hrspwrjunkie said:
Stock 5.0s in those cars start backing off on power at about 4600 RPM. The power is still good up to about 5000-5400, where they like to be shifted for maximum acceleration.

:stupid: what he said. These aren't high-revving motors stock. Power usually falls flat around 4900 or so. Don't worry, just an intake alone will make it pull hard up to 5500.

Just to waste bandwith. That is probably normal for our cars.

Stock heads/cam/intake cars should be shifted about 5200 rpm for maximum acceleration.

Redline is out of the question, don't even try to do it.

Ah...........I remember when I thought redline meant "shiftpoint".