5.0 max hp

bhaynes

Aug 22, 2009
Hows it going just bought a 92 lx hatch 5.0. I have been hearing that i can only make 500 hp and at that amount i will run a risk of spliting the block just curious. someone please set the record straight. Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

That's the theory and there has been plenty pics of split blocks on the e-net to attest to it. Alot of people switch to a dart or world block when they are investing in that kind of hp. It's pretty easy to stay under that even boosted.

You say "only" 500 hp.
That's 500rwhp (probably should stay around 450rwhp to be safe), just keep in mind, in a foxbody that's a whole lot of power, consider you can run 12's with just 250rwhp.
Foxes are light, quick and torquey, 500rwhp can be a handful.

You say "only" 500 hp.
That's 500rwhp (probably should stay around 450rwhp to be safe), just keep in mind, in a foxbody that's a whole lot of power, consider you can run 12's with just 250rwhp.
Foxes are light, quick and torquey, 500rwhp can be a handful.

+1

good information in that post....

First, yes you would split the block, maybe not right away... but you will do it. It's only a matter of time...

Now that being said...

Do you really know what "only 500hp" is like to try and drive?

I've got a little tiny 306... makes 310whp.

Runs 13.5 at 106, with a corner carving suspension and 3.08 rear gears. (street tires, full stereo, etc...)

I can be running around in town at 35-40, stuff it in 2nd and jump on it and it'll light the tires to 55 when I shift to 3rd...

I mean with 500whp you're talking about fogging the tires at 80mph on dry pavement... :jaw: :eek: is that really what you want to drive all the time? ...really?

Yeah it's bitchin at the dyno shootout or for braggin at the local starbucks... but do ya reallllyyyy want that much pain and heartache, just lying in wait for your first lack of discression?

( ...really ? )
:nono:

Get yourself about a 400-425bhp 347 with a tremec behind it... and slide it in that bad boy, with a set of 3.55's or 3.73's and you'll have ALL KINDS of s**ts and giggles, truuuussstt me.

Hows it going just bought a 92 lx hatch 5.0. I have been hearing that i can only make 500 hp and at that amount i will run a risk of spliting the block just curious. someone please set the record straight. Thanx

Yeah, that area between 450-500rwhp (520-580 crank) is where the risk of splitting the block increases dramatically.
You have a lightweight car so even 300rwhp is enough for you to run 11's and scare the living daylights out of LS7 Corvette ZO6's. Just build a nice, streetable H/C/I 306 and enjoy it.

My iron headed 306 put down 406 on a break in tune. Not the most, but it's fun to drive. We will be going to the dyno soon to make adjustments. I am hoping for 450. Driving it in the rain is a joke. Scary to me. Just something to consider for a dd.

My iron headed 306 put down 406 on a break in tune. Not the most, but it's fun to drive. We will be going to the dyno soon to make adjustments. I am hoping for 450. Driving it in the rain is a joke. Scary to me. Just something to consider for a dd.

What Poweradder Do You Have? 406hp All Motor on a Chassis Dyno is :bs: with a power adder thats differnet

I know im close to 450 now but dont have a dyno sheet to back that up, My tuner said he left some HP on the table so that i could enjoy this set up before my block goes. :rolleyes:

Seems like 420-450 is a safe bet if tuned right but there are so many people running 500-600 HP and saying its safe... :nono:

For something safe streetable (Depending on what that means to you) id say 400 isnt a bad goal to set for yourself right now...and when you get bored of that keep building it up till it breaks. Or just start building up an engine now and enjoy your car the way it is, swap that engine in over a winter and enjoy :nice:

Jeff B.

This conversation always goes the same way.... you have the camp that swears you'll split your block instantly.. almost before you even crank her over once your at 500HP, then those in the middle that say it will last a while, and then those that swear they've done it for years with no issues. So what can you conclude? I'd say that any of the three is possible but will ultimately depend on the quality of your build/assembly, how you drive, and just how strong your factory block happens to be. In my opinion, I say if you need to satisfy that desire, go for it :nice:

This conversation always goes the same way.... you have the camp that swears you'll split your block instantly.. almost before you even crank her over once your at 500HP, then those in the middle that say it will last a while, and then those that swear they've done it for years with no issues. So what can you conclude? I'd say that any of the three is possible but will ultimately depend on the quality of your build/assembly, how you drive, and just how strong your factory block happens to be. In my opinion, I say if you need to satisfy that desire, go for it :nice:

well that was a blanket statement :D

A friend of mine ran through several stock blocks but was making probably 650-700 flywheel. All of them cracked at one point or another and incidentally enough the "weaker" hyper piston 5.0 motors lasted just as long as the forged piston motors.

I just broke my block after making 505rwhp one time . . . had 120,000+ miles on it, sat in a storage unit for 3 years and ran it just like that.