5.0short block weaknesses?

crich

Jan 27, 2007
Yakima, WA
Are there weak point in the bottom end of the 5.0L motor as far as the crank, pistons, or rings? I have read about the limitations as far as handling horsepower ,but never in detail was they were.

• Sponsors (?)

The rotating assembly is generally stronger than the block. The block usually breaks before the internals, usually somewhere over 400rwhp. I've seen them hold up over 500rwhp, but it's uncommon, and a ticking time bomb. RPM really hurts these motors, so don't spin it to the moon. A good, safe tune will help as well.

Cool deal, that's good to know! I've kept the rpm down on mthe motor but it sure rev's fast. I'm shifting at 5400-5800 depending on the gear. I won't have it bored but I'm gonna go ahead and put all new guts in it and alum. heads. Thanks for the help.

The stock 302 blocks are weak, the internals are actually pretty stout for stock. Watch out for claims of some companies that say they can make them stronger (DSS level 10and20) and stud girtles do very litte since it is right down the middle where it splits. They might help, but not make a big difference. If you want to make real power, go with an aftermarket block. IMO, a stock block is only good for mild setups.