5 lbs of Boost on 137k engine OK??

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Im already trying to plan next winters project, and ive narrowed it down to new aluminum heads, or a Supercharger. Heres why. Right know im changing heads, a guy who gave me a set of free stock replacements, nice guy!! I had valve cover bolts broken all over the place in my stock heads, saved me money from getting them machined out. Im planning on getting a 342 Stroker sometime within the next 2 maybe 3 years. And i dont want to have to take the heads off again next year, and then again when i get a new block, thats like 200 bucks in just gaskets!! "and a lot of time" a buddy of mine just got his Powerdyne rebuilt it was the bass unit, 5-6psi, he changed his mind and went with there new Gear driven SC. He's said he would sell me his old one if i wanted it, and now im certainly considering it. My car has 137k miles on but still runs like a champ *knock knock*, would it be wise to run just 5 psi, thats all i would run for the time being, until i get the new block. Which way would you guys go, Heads or Blower?? There eventually all going to be replaced anyways, but how would you go about it??

• Sponsors (?)

Blower will make a MUCH bigger difference than heads alone. Whether the motor's integrity is up to it depends on many variables - mileage alone doesn't really tell you anything. Run cranking compression tests/leak down test on any cylinders that seem suspect and see how things look. If it all looks solid, I'd bolt the supercharger on. You can always add it to the stroker too. Don't forget, bolting on 75-100 rwhp will also tax brakes, tires, suspension, unibody (got subframe connectors?), clutch, tranny, shaft/ujoints, rear end. All that in order too?

Thanks for the reply, the only thing id worry about is my tranny, this winters project is 4.10s and trac loc rebuild, ive got the Ujoints taken care with the aluminum driveshaft, and im planning on adding new springs, c/c plates and Lower Control arms this winter as well. I dont have the Sub Connectors yet, but i will look into them.

I'd personally rebuild the bottom end. Especially since your dumping all that cash into the engine. Why not spend a few hundred more bucks? Also a compression test will only tell you the condition of the top compression rings and not the oil controll ring. It's not uncommon to have a 5.0 with 100K plus and 140PSI on each cylinder but it burns oil.

your gambling with nice heads or a blower,, either way it's a gamble..Adding great heads to a junk block is just as stressfull.. (not saying your blocks junk) put the flame throwers down now..

I would take the blower though.. If you blow up, you blow up...LOL

I just talked with my buddy, and he told me to make him an offer. Its just the Head Unit by the way, that has just been rebuilt with new Kevlar belt and bearings. Im wasnt sure at all what to offer, i dont want to rip him off, he's helped me out so much on my car. I was going to say 500 but then i didnt know, is that to low? lol What would you pay for it? Also what else do i need to complete it, just and inlet tube and mounting bracket???

I just put the Paxton on my 160,000 mile motor. Running 5-6# of boost. Everything is working ok so far. I just took it easy for the 1st couple days and worked the detonation gremlins out of it, made sure temps were doing ok, tuning was good, etc...

The old motor is holding up and seems to like the boost alot.

I'm throwin a vortech with probably 9-10 lbs on my basically stock 114k motor in the spring. I figure i know the motor is eventually gonna get rebuilt, probably next winter, so this way i can enjoy the summer time and if any damage is done, it doesn't matter because its all getting replaced anyway. I'll get a conservative tune so i dont have to worry about going lean and i have the aftercooler to help with detonation. The supercharger is going to make more power than the heads and its probably cheaper than completely redoing your motor, because lets face it, if your going to take the heads off, why put stock ones back on. So unless you can afford to completely redo your motor, like stroker, heads intake etc, go with the blower. Anywayz, just my opinions, hope some of it helps.

slugga - how are you gonna handle fuel enrichment or pulling timing under boost? You've got some tuning issues to deal with in addition to the mounting bracket and plumbing issues, right? Especially if you're not gonna plumb in a charge cooler.

90Notch said:
5psi of boost is not that much and if (as Mike Yount stated) the shortblock is in decent condition as most are you should have no problems. Of course this assumes and it's a big assumption that you have a good tune on the motor. Is this the best way to go, no but considering how well these blocks last it should be fine.

Do tell what is the best way to go.