5 lug swap brake identification needed

You can narrow it down using external fitting sizes.

From the pic, it looks like the front fitting (rear brakes) is larger than the rear fitting (front brakes). So front is likely an M12 fitting and rear is M10. You can se in the chart below the potential MC's. 1987+ cars use metric fittings.

1704911023157.png

I wouldn;t lose sleep over what MC is on the car now. How do the brakes feel?

If you swap to 99-04 Cobra brakes, your piston surface area decreases 18%. That means your pedal effort will go up slightly. Can you live with a little more pedal effort from what you have now? If not, a 93 cobra booster might be the answer.

Didn't mean to make more work for you. If you like your current brakes and how they perform, just replace the rotors/pads and call it a day. Ir if you want you can use it as an opportunity to upgrade to 13" brakes up front. (assuming you have 17" wheels on the car).

The benefits of the 13" brakes over your current 99-04 PBR's is appearance, as well as less fade on repeated stops. One hard stop on both brake systems will likely snow no significant difference. The cobra 13" brakes start to shine when you start making consecutive aggressive stops.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

No idea how they feel while driving, I've never driven this fox. Thank you guys so much for all this info! For now, I'm going to replace pads and rotors all around and get the car running (been working from the ground up). So close!

Reactions: 1 user
I've rarely heard of the Cobra PBR's being prone to sticking. In fact, i can't think of any instances.

The V6/GT ones seem to stick if you look at them funny. It seems to happen more frequently with old brake fluid, and on cars that sit a lot (or winter storage)

Reactions: 1 users
I've rarely heard of the Cobra PBR's being prone to sticking. In fact, i can't think of any instances.

The V6/GT ones seem to stick if you look at them funny. It seems to happen more frequently with old brake fluid, and on cars that sit a lot (or winter storage)
Are these the ones that stick?
DSCF1181.JPG

Are these the ones that stick?
DSCF1181.JPG

Yup. I've seen them stick right out of the box. You'll know right away if they do or not.

In terms of proactive maintenance, stay on top of brake fluid changes. I've bleed the brakes on a few of these cars that sat and even though there was clear fluid elsewhere, the first few pushes of fluid out of the front calipers always had some sort of orange goop/rust concoction come out. If anything, just bleed the fronts a bit from time to time to get some fresh fluid, especially before parking it for the off-season

The calipers on my '00 GT were dragging when i got the car (sat 2 years on original fluid) so i swapped them to cobra brakes. Been meaning to pop the pistons out to inspect

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys, I ran into a hiccup with the rears. The brackets are a little too small and I've found out there is a cobra specific bracket.. no problem, but I can't figure out which one I need. LMR says the thick one that looks very similar to what I have now is not for a foxbody. And the other one they sell doesn't look anything like what I have.. I honestly don't know if this rear end was out of an SN95 or if it was converted. Can you guys point me in the right direction please? I've attached some pictures. Thanks!
1000003551.jpg
1000003552.jpg
1000003554.jpg
1000003553.jpg

The rears are standard 94-04 GT/V6 rear brackets and calipers and rotors with 94-98 SN95 axles. Everything I see in the pic is factory GT stuff.

What are you trying to do in the rear?

Last edited:
The rears are standard 94-04 GT/V6 rear brackets and calipers and rotors with 94-98 SN95 axles. Everything I see in the pic is factory GT stuff.

What are you trying to do in the rear?

Why do I have a vague memory of the rear Cobra rotors being 11 inch and V6/GT, 10 inch?

I also have a vague memory of having to 'track down' brackets for the rear? :shrug:

Not things I keep refreshed in my mind is why I ask.

Cobra rear rotors are vented and 11.65” in diameter and the V6/GT’s are solid and 10.5” in diameter.

The calipers are the same however the axle brackets are different which you are noting above. The caliper brackets are different as well. The difference can be seen here:

21_caliper_brackets.jpg

I sourced the caliper brackets from Autozone. Not sure if they carry them anymore or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Why do I have a vague memory of the rear Cobra rotors being 11 inch and V6/GT, 10 inch?

I also have a vague memory of having to 'track down' brackets for the rear? :shrug:

Not things I keep refreshed in my mind is why I as

Cobra rear rotors are vented and 11.65” in diameter and the V6/GT’s are solid and 10.5” in diameter.

The calipers are the same however the axle brackets are different which you are noting above. The caliper brackets are different as well. The difference can be seen here:

21_caliper_brackets.jpg

I sourced the caliper brackets from Autozone. Not sure if they carry them anymore or not.
I bought the front and rear kits from LMR if anyone needs to find them.. I'm just stuck on which bracket kit to order. The thin bent ones don't look right to me, but why would they say the thicker ones are not for a foxbody? They look like what I have already. The rotor and caliper lines right up but the mounting holes just need to further out in space to accommodate the rotor. I'm sure I'm over thinking everything lol

Attachments

• 20240505_122332.jpg
    20240505_122332.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 10