5-Speed Transmission

foxmustangman

Jun 20, 2007
Idaho
Okay, so it turns out that I burnt out my transmission possibly causd by me intalling my shift kit (i suggest NOT doing that one). :(

The cost to fix it is roughly 1600 but could be anywhere from 1200 to 2500. :eek:

So i figured "Screw automatics...get a 5-speed!" I can get a manual transmission for roughly the same price and have 2 times as much fun. (then none of my friends can drive my car either:nice: )...

So if i switch out my automatic, what will i have to get to put in a 5-speed?
Transmission, belhousing, and flywheel are a given...

Also, i have this crazy idea...can you put a torque converter in a manual transmission instead of a clutch, i mean, it makes sense to me...anyone else???
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

no you can't put a torque converter in a 5 spd, why does that make sense? Also you are gonna need the pedal assembly and a clutch which I didn't see above, the inside console for the 5 spd, and the clutch cable. There is more I know, I just can't think of everything.

pedal assembly
the console boot and inner boot
the trans of course
bellhousing
clutch assembly
pilot bearing
throw out bearing
clutch cable
flywheel

a couple hours, a few cuss words, carton of cigaretts, lots of vault and then bam its done, then the moment you start it up powershift it everywhere you go, then go buy a tremec!!!

pedal assembly
the console boot and inner boot
the trans of course
bellhousing and clutch fork
clutch assembly
pilot bearing
throw out bearing
clutch cable
flywheel
clutch quadrant
shifter and knob
scatter shield

a couple hours, a few cuss words, carton of cigaretts, lots of vault and then bam its done, then the moment you start it up powershift it everywhere you go, then go buy a tremec!!!

added a few things, but couldn't have said it better myself. the transmission swap is the easy part, it's putting in the clutch pedal assembly that is a b*tch when you have a full interior. just dedicate a weekend or a few days in a row to get it done. especially since it's your first time, take your time doing it. it's not that bad though, just time consuming. oh and make sure you have a clutch alignment tool (should come with clutch kit), it'll make stabbing the transmission 10000x easier.

How difficult is the pedal assembly swap? I think that would be the worst part, I am in the same boat and it looks like you have to be pretty "bendy" to get to it...

There not to bad. First i take the set out then drop the steering column. then its just four bolts think there 9/16 and a few plug in's then you have to work it out from under the dash.

And you will need a tran harness. car won't start unless you get a 5 speed one or jump the wires for the N saftey switch.

Ive never taken one out but I believe you coud get it out in about 1 1/2 hour if you decide to takle it. if you dont want to do that, ive always wanted to put the clutch on the shifter, I think that would be kewl, ill try to get a pic off of a motorcycle.

I have seen them on a motorcycle. But i would like to see that on a car. You would have to have one h**l of a grip to do it. So we know what you do in your spare time.

I just did the swap myself about a month ago...

i would suggest doing the pedals one weekend and then doing the trans the next... unless its a daily driver don't worry about it.

took me 5hrs to do the pedals ( breaks etc..) florida heat sucks... and it was a pain in the ass! but not hard at all to do...

then took me 12hrs to do the trans swap... this is coming from someone that has never taken a trans out of a car before... its really easy to do... just time comsuming!

i would suggest getting that AOD out of there... also make sure the trans is rebuilt or new one...

because i need to replace the used one i got... i got lied to and my 2nd gear sncyro is shot and 3rd gear whines!