50 psi fuel pressure too high?

p51302

Mar 17, 2004
San Diego
Hi,

I'm running 36# injectors @ 50psi with a sn2000 paxton with no FMU. With timing at 6 degrees, I ping up fairly steep hills around 3000 rpms with only 3psi of boost at WOT. I just retarded the timing to 4 degrees. At time of writing, I don't know if I still ping up hills accelerating.

Is this normal? Do most of you supercharger stangers out there run with such retarded timing and high fuel pressure? I'm about to go to an MSD 6BTM. I just wanted to make sure my car doesn't have any other issues.

Thanks,
p51302

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm... wow. I couldn't pretend to tell you how to fix your problem other than to try an FMU. Maybe some of the guys with lots of SC experience can. 3 lbs of boost is next to nothing. With your injectors and timing I can't see why you'd be pinging unless something else was completely wrong. I will tell you that I'm running 7lbs of boost from a Kenne Bell with timing set at 12*. Is that 50 lbs at full boost or idle?

EDIT: If you have the means, get yourself an Air/fuel ratio reader. It'll take the guess work out.

I have 50 psi of fuel pressure at idle, with vacuum hose disconnected. It does appear that retarding my timing to 4* stopped my pinging. I'm just curious if others are running with such a high fuel pressure.

If you have a supercharager, what is your fuel pressure at full boost? And what is your initial timing set to? If you have boost retard, what do you have it set to retard per pound of boost?

Wow. Daggar, how can you run such advanced timing? Do you have a boost retard set up?

Concerning, an air/fuel ratio guage, does that mean I need to weld in a new bung into the tail pipe? I keep seeing kits where they say they use the existing bung. How does that work? Doesn't the computer need to have both o2 sending input to it?

If I have to get a bung welded in, where does it get welded into? In the cross over section in the h-pipe? Does the location matter?

Thanks,
p51302