5th gear gone! Need Advice!

JacKniK

Jun 19, 2007
Virgina
So I'm driving down the highway in 5th gear with the cruse control on going 55 mph, and suddenly clank, grind... No more 5th gear, all it does is grind when I release the clutch. I've never had any problems with my 5th gear, not even a noise so this really caught me off guard.

I have a mgw short shifter and 4:10 gears installed. I tried putting my stock shifter back in and still no 5th gear.. Every other gear works, however, reverse is sometimes hard to get into.

Please give me any advice as to how much it will cost to repair or what it may be that happened.. and should I worry about driving the car in this condition? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

It may be related to a syncro or blocking ring. One thing for sure, is that the transmission will have to be removed and disassembled, which is $$$$ just in labor cost. You'll just have to talk with the local shops to find out your options.

If money is very tight, and you have some mechanical ability, you could buy a used or rebuilt transmission and swap it in yourself. You could have a shop open the transmission and try to repair it, but at this point, you have no idea of the cost and very possible it would cost nearlyas much as a rebuilt transmission with a warenty.