Engine 66 heater box hoses to 5.0 heater hard tubes

How much HP does it feel like it's making? If i had to guess (and assuming no surprises) ...200-225 crank.
Hard for me to judge, really. Probably not far off. Feels like less than my 2012 Maxima and that's 290 hp.

If you floor it from a stop whatever is in there will certainly push you back in the seat. If feels fun, for sure! Kind of like slow-car fast. But also I've tried to peel out and that's not happening. My son said he was at a stop light the other day an a guy in a Nova started to race him off the line, but he didn't realize it. By the time he did there was zero chance of keeping up let alone catching up.

TBH, I'm not sad about that. There's only so much HP that I want available to a 17 YO. He's been following along on these threads. Thomas - no racing!

• Sponsors (?)

I would be curious to know what year the block is. There is a casting number behind (kinds sort of) the starter and can be found here:

1706125628069.png

First letter is code for which decade it was built so C=60's, D=70's, E=80's, F=90's and the number after it is for the the year in that decade. The two letters after that what type of vehicle it was to be installed. For example, F0AE would be F = 90's, 0 gives you the production year of 1990 and AE is full sized Ford so think Crown Vic, Continental, etc.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Hard for me to judge, really. Probably not far off. Feels like less than my 2012 Maxima and that's 290 hp.

I think you are in for a treat when you get it ironed out. A stock roller 302 makes more torque from idle all through the RPM range than the V6 did. At the very least, it should feel like it pulls a lot harder from stop light to stop light when it's running right.

^^^ I'd probably wager it's a little less. Everything i read suggests the 289 heads are slightly worse at flow compared to the E7 and their only pro was the compression. But who knows what short block they are in, or what cam is in the engine. With the HO intake it's likely struggling to breathe.

I mean certainly we can fix that....we love spending other people's money ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
^^^ I'd probably wager it's a little less. Everything i read suggests the 289 heads are slightly worse at flow compared to the E7 and their only pro was the compression. But who knows what short block they are in, or what cam is in the engine. With the HO intake it's likely struggling to breathe.

I mean certainly we can fix that....we love spending other people's money ;)
A lot of "mod" shops back-in-the day sacrificed TQ for HP. With that intake looking the way it does, I imagine this is one of those times.

Reactions: 1 user