'66 Shelby Quarter Window Installation Q

I attempted the install today and ran into a problem. After assembing the unit I found that I have a .25" gap along the top of the window frame. This gap exists between the mounting lip of the frame and the sheet metal of the car. The frames fit very snug around the outter opening, but the opening gradually flares larger towards the inside of the car. I can bend the aluminum frame to conform to the metal along the inner lip, but then the plexiglass is not snug inside the frame.

I know the first comment that I will get is that is I cut the opening too big. That is not the case - the opening was not enlarged at all. The only modifications was the removal of the mounting flanges for the vents.

I see two choices:

1. Weld a piece a sheet metal along the upper lip to increase the size (very risky with the new paint and my welding skills.)

2. Go ahead and install as is, but use sheet metal screws. This could be accomplished by placing spacers between the frame and the car to prevent it from flexing closed when tightening, and then I could fill the remaining gap with a silicone sealer. The work would be covered by the plastic covers on the inside - so it should not be noticed when done.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Also - does anyone have photos of the window with just the window and outside trim installed, as well as the full finished product from the inside?

--------------------
1965 2+2

• Sponsors (?)

Window Gap

I think that you might have solved it. The metal frame has only a slight gap where the pieces meet and it could stand to be larger. The metal clips will cover the gap. If the plexiglass was slightly larger I believe that would solve my problem.

Also - I purchased the kit about 1.5 years ago.

Thanks - I will keep playing with it.

SG