'66 Wheel/tire fitment

Well I'm gonna order the stock car wheels today I reckon. I have a problem though...I don't know what backspacing I need for front and rear. Currently stock suspension and I wanna run 15x8 all around. Also what bolt pattern is it I cant get to measure right now? Sorry for this post, heh I know everyone loves wheel/tire posts. I did have a good chart saved but its gone somewhere. I'm thinkin bigger meats in the back but what do you recommend up front? Buddy at the tireplace in town recommended 225/60s so I can rotate them. Whatcha think? Right now I'm seeing either 3 or 4" backspacing in Summit Racing. I've heard several different backspacing quotes so I'm confused.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok I've checked around some more...5x4.5" bolt pattern has came up but still I'm in the dark totally about my backspacing. I've saw some that had like 4.5 rear, 4 rear, 5 rear, 3.5 front, etc etc. Does anyone here have 15x8s all around right now? I really need to know so I can order tonight. They don't show any sizes between 2,3,4, etc...no 4.5 or anything. I am gonna try to call summit and ask shortly but I dont know about that stupid spacing.

dont quote me as being right but from what i understand 4.5" or 4.75" with larger rims to fit the bigger tire again dont quote me as being right, you can always check www.dodgestang.com in his tire and wheel chart to see what others used in there combos.

also shows tire sizes used and problems encountered if any

wow 8" in front, that will be tight. Might have to do some measuring. Best thing probably is order your rear wheels then use them to do math for offset. Or find a nice friendly tire store that will let you use some of thier junk rims to play with offsets in exchage for buying the wheels from them. :)

blown65 said:
wow 8" in front, that will be tight. Might have to do some measuring. Best thing probably is order your rear wheels then use them to do math for offset. Or find a nice friendly tire store that will let you use some of thier junk rims to play with offsets in exchage for buying the wheels from them. :)

Ya I thought of 15x7 front but I really would rather put some real good wide meats all around. Don't see it being that tight though since everyone w/17s uses 8" wide, and most 16s are 8" wide

TireSmoknWindsr said:
Well I'm gonna order the stock car wheels today I reckon. I have a problem though...I don't know what backspacing I need for front and rear. Currently stock suspension and I wanna run 15x8 all around. Also what bolt pattern is it I cant get to measure right now? Sorry for this post, heh I know everyone loves wheel/tire posts. I did have a good chart saved but its gone somewhere. I'm thinkin bigger meats in the back but what do you recommend up front? Buddy at the tireplace in town recommended 225/60s so I can rotate them. Whatcha think? Right now I'm seeing either 3 or 4" backspacing in Summit Racing. I've heard several different backspacing quotes so I'm confused.

17x8 4.75 Backspacing is the best fit for the car if you have stock drums or 4 piston style Disc brakes (factory or SSBC)

225 45 17 fits in the front good if you stock height a arms.
235 45 17 fits in the front good if you have the shelby drop and run the shelby specs

Good defined as not needed to roll the fenders

245 45 17 fits in the rear without rolling for most people if you are running stock rear drums and stock width axle.

You can run a 255 40 17 with rolled fenders.

Its all on my charts :)

To extrapolate then 15x8 4.75 would fit good....but unfortunately the ball joint gets in the way so a 15x8 can not be run with that much backspacing.

dodgestang said:
17x8 4.75 Backspacing is the best fit for the car if you have stock drums or 4 piston style Disc brakes (factory or SSBC)

225 45 17 fits in the front good if you stock height a arms.
235 45 17 fits in the front good if you have the shelby drop and run the shelby specs

Good defined as not needed to roll the fenders

245 45 17 fits in the rear without rolling for most people if you are running stock rear drums and stock width axle.

Its all on my charts :)

lol, I love this chart cause I run 17x9.5 on 275/40/17's and they barely rub. If I roller the fenders they definitely wouldnt. :)

TireSmoknWindsr said:
Well... I really want the 8"...should I maybe roll the fenders, get 5" and use spacers....wouldn't the local wheel/tire places have some spacers I could use?

If you want to use a spacer that's your call....I will never run a spacer ever, but a .25 spacer would do the trick for the rear, you might be able to make it work with a 1/2 spacer in the front :notnice: . I know my brother has been using a .25 spacer for 8 years on his 67 with a versailles rear end without a problem. I used a spacer once...got a false tight and ended up with 3 lug broken and the wheel only held on with one loose lug and stud.....YMMV