'66 Wheel/tire fitment

TireSmoknWindsr said:
Well... I really want the 8"...should I maybe roll the fenders, get 5" and use spacers....wouldn't the local wheel/tire places have some spacers I could use?

Who makes these wheels...are there knock offs from other makers? Do they do custom sizing (most do they jsut don't advertise it heavily)

• Sponsors (?)

blown65 said:
you want to get it as close as possible, better to not use spacers. Just get some stock 15"x8's with diff offsets and see how they sit. 3/4" of spacers seems like ALOT.

it'd be 1/4"....If I need a 4.75 bs to clear then I just need .25" spacers to push the wheel back out from its 5" bs

btw its Bart Wheels circle track wheels. They apparently just make even sizes...not sure why though. my other option is these http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=USW-84-5850&N=120 303315 not quite the same but close with alot more b/s options...tempting but I'm still unsure.

You aren't going to get a 15x8 under the front of an unmodified 65/66 car. You CANNOT run 4.75"(or 4.5") BS on a 15x8 in the front - it will be solid into the upper balljoint.

A 16x8" rim w/4.5 BS sometimes fits in front with minor mods, but it's REAL tight, and can vary from car-to-car. Once again, the upper balljoint/control arm is an issue.

The reason the 17" guys can run an 8" wide rim is that the wheel is tall enough to clear the upper balljoint, permitting you to run the extra backspace required (4.75").

Dodge needs to read that wheel chart! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :shrug: How many entries are 15x8 in front??? Only 1 that I saw, with TONS of 7" - there's probably a good reason for that... ;) And, do you REALLY believe that ONE guy made the wheel fit, when nobody else has??? Or maybe that guy likes to exagerate (or doesn't know the correct way to measure a wheel?)

BobV said:
You aren't going to get a 15x8 under the front of an unmodified 65/66 car. You CANNOT run 4.75"(or 4.5") BS on a 15x8 in the front - it will be solid into the upper balljoint.

A 16x8" rim w/4.5 BS sometimes fits in front with minor mods, but it's REAL tight, and can vary from car-to-car. Once again, the upper balljoint/control arm is an issue.

The reason the 17" guys can run an 8" wide rim is that the wheel is tall enough to clear the upper balljoint, permitting you to run the extra backspace required (4.75").

Dodge needs to read that wheel chart! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :shrug: How many entries are 15x8 in front??? Only 1 that I saw, with TONS of 7" - there's probably a good reason for that... ;) And, do you REALLY believe that ONE guy made the wheel fit, when nobody else has??? Or maybe that guy likes to exagerate (or doesn't know the correct way to measure a wheel?)

:rolleyes: hehe....that's right.....I started writting about 17s.......darn beer.
That's why I usually just say "look at the chart"

:mad: Of all the friggen bullcrap. I just checked w/ summit and the bart wheels apparently aren't dot approved due to costs...apparently they are a weak wheel which makes no sense to me being a race wheel. So now I'm checking one other place but right now the only option i see is those us wheel series 84 black daytona wagon wheels i posted earlier.

TireSmoknWindsr said:
:mad: Of all the friggen bullcrap. I just checked w/ summit and the bart wheels apparently aren't dot approved due to costs...apparently they are a weak wheel which makes no sense to me being a race wheel. So now I'm checking one other place but right now the only option i see is those us wheel series 84 black daytona wagon wheels i posted earlier.

Have you considered waiting to purchase wheels until you find something that you like and can afford that is street legal?

I have a set of 14 rim with almost new tires on them you could have for cheap if you are close enough to pickup if you are dire need or rubber for the car....the tires/wheel set up on the car is one of the most instumental appearance items in defining the overall impression a car gives. IMO its just as important as the paint.

Well they are pretty similar to the stock car wheels. And like I said I wanna put a Cobra R front apron, rollbar, etc on later and go more w/ the TransAm look. I'm gonna lower it next week an inch. I'm going off to school in two weeks and need some meats before I go. I think w/ the cars current looks the black wheels could look mean on it. I wish I could get a set of Weld Prostars or TT Ds but the wagon/daytona wheels cost the same price as one Weld or TT for 4 wheels. The car isnt a shining example of a classic really, has plenty of paint/body flaws so that's one reason I'm less concerned. I just hate the wheels on it right now. Those slotted aluminum wheels on there don't ever seal up right and leak a little and parts of them are chipping off around the lug holes. I figure when I can get some good wheels I can always take the daytona wheels and get a couple more 8" wide ones and put on the 4x4 or somethin. So right now this is all I can figure on http://store.summitracing.com/partd...CC00-2C94-44DC-89A7-DFEB9C711D82}#largerimage

I got one´s (15x7) with backspacing of 3,5" ,and took them to shop to be milled 4 mm of the center to add more back spacing. Now they are perfect.

I was thinking for a while about them being strong enough, but they were rated 1300 lbs each, so I think they´ll b fine. We´ll see.