'67 Blinker problem

Hi..

new to the Forum, but thought it was about time I registered!

Here's my ride:

SNC9_incognito.jpg

My 67 Fastback has developed a problem with the Blinker. If I turn on the left turn signal, the dash indicator lights up, but does not blink. The right blinker works just fine. The switch is about 6 months old. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Andy

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your flasher relay is bad. Cheap at any parts store. Try turning on your blinker, reaching under the dash and giving the wires on it a little wiggle or try thumping the relay and see if that makes it blink.

My guess would be a bad bulb or socket on the left side of the car. Stand outside the car with the left blinker on and see if they both light up f/r, if not or if they stay on swap the bulbs front>rear and use some fine sandpaper on the contacts in the bulb socket and see if that fixes it, a little dialectric grease will help with contact also and to avoid corrosion. If that doesn't solve it start checking grounds to the F/R blinker bulbs with a 12V test light or volt meter, one of them isn't getting juice or a good ground.
The flasher controls both sides and doesn't know which one isn't working so it shouldn't be the flasher. When the system can't complete the current (bad bulb, socket, ground) it comes to a stop which is your turn light staying on in the dash.
By the way, welcome to the board and your pic link isn't working for me..
Jon

JonK,
Too bad the link isn't workin' for ya, his car is GORGEOUS!:jaw:
+1 on your thoughts and suggestions, however, I would add/suggest that he try 2 "new" bulbs (as long as they're NOT those horrible "Sylvania" chrome base/sleeve units that have almost no retainer nipple on the sides) for the left side, as I have experienced several bulbs in the past that were cracked/shorted at the base causing very odd problems, such as indicator lighting dimly when parking lights are on, turn signal activation causing parking/tail lights to flash, just to mention a couple!:eek:
HTH,
Gene

Thanks for the help!

The problem is not in the switch, nor the flasher relay. I was able to locate part of the problem, but haven't been able to troubleshoot it yet. With some stuff floppin around in the trunk, the bulb in the left side of the taillight housing popped out, and the blinker started working again...popped it back in and it stopped working. As some of the wiring on that side has obviously (judging by the tape around it) been "worked" on, I'll need to investigate there.

Thanks for the compliments, been a lot of work. I re-did the interior over winter, and am still working on a few issues. Here's a few more pics:

V8_Rollout2_incog.jpg

Stang_Incognito.jpg