67 comments suggestions advice

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
I have been working on my 67 coupe nearly every weekend for the past year, its been slow but steady. I only get to work on it when i have the cash to spend (im sure ya'll feel me on that). Anyway, below is a link to my flickr where you can pretty much see what all i have done to the car. Any of you guys get bored enough, how about checking it out and let me know if theres any advice or any comments you may have. I HOPE to have the car ready for paint next spring. Advice, comments, criticism, I'll take what i can get, never messed with a Stang before this...

Flickr: robbz28's Photostream

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That looks like a nice project. Your engine looks great. Those deluxe consoles are slick.

What color are you thinking about? I vote for the green that it was before.

I noticed you deleted the cowl? How come?

I like that blue Camaro.

Thanks, its been a fun build, havent been able to do EVERYTHING I wanted to it, but regardless it will be a nice car when im done. Anyway I almost threw out the console! If you saw the before pictures, it was in horrible shape, but I suprised myself at how well I fixed it, its still not perfect but looks good. Color, not going to be green, sorry...i am 80% set on painting it black, maybe putting a silver GT stripe along the bottom. My cowl delete was 2 fold. Mainly because the cowl was in bad shape and I just didnt have the money to fix it properly, I cut out the rust from beneath the dash, patched up the hole, will fix it a few years down the road when I have more time & money. Second because I'm going for a really slick look to this car, This car is going to sit low, I am going to get the body gaps as close as i possibly can, no emblems, no antenna, mold in the rear valence and quarter panel extensions. Its going to look slick (hopefully).
Thanks for the complement on the camaro, I sold it back in february, it was a fun 10 years I had with that car, it was a beast in the 1/4, but really no fun to drive on a long (30+ mile) trip. This mustang is going to be my cruise anywhere car.

Looking good. I think you got the cooling mastered. I see all the front end work. Did you do the Shelby 1" drop? Thats always my first suggestion. It makes a huge difference driving and cost nothing.

Thanks, yeah I did the 1" drop with the 520lb springs, I am waiting to get my new wheels/tires before I decide whether to drop the rear or not. I don't want my car to look like a lot of other mustangs I have seen with the front being higher than the rear, looks silly to me. I THOUGHT I had the cooling mastered, I went all out on the electric fan, relay, thermostat activated, a/c activated fan, all that good stuff. Then when I bought the aluminum radiator, it was thicker than the copper one, so my fan then wouldnt fit between the engine and radiator, so I moved it to the front. Well, then my hood latch bracket wouldnt mount up so I had to remove it again, now I either have to find a really REALLY slim electric fan or put an engine driven fan back on it. Anyone need a good electric fan?? lol

I think black would be cool, but no stripes. It takes away from the clean look in my opinion. It sounds like you have some really cool plans for it. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Yeah, Well if i DO do a stripe its going to be a decal, so its not like I will be stuck with it if i dont like it (as if it was painted and cleared over). I really think its going to need something, but who knows. I was really bummed when I heard I have to go help paint my mother-in-laws porch this weekend, lol! Now that I have started the fun stuff again all I want to do is work on my car!

That is one stunning black stang....not crazy about that thunderbolt hood. I had real trouble deciding whether or not to keep my lower rocker molding, but i decided to do away with it, i can always add it back later if i need to. I just hope i can shape the body on my car well enough that it looks half as good as that one does when it gets that black paint laid on it.

I just can't do the green guys, never been my favorite color. I am going black OR I may go with a dark dark charcoal metallic (my mother has a 2009 malibu and it is a beautiful charcoal metallic, looks black from a distance). i have cleaned up the apron, a bit from those pics, but i didnt get too crazy, i have to keep reminding myself that this is going to be a driver not a show pony.

Seriously, im not really a car show contestant type, I may drive it to some shows (Shepherd of the Hills Branson, Cruizin the Coast Biloxi) but this is my 3rd muscle car and I have yet to enter a single show. I just love the attention that the cars get when you are driving through town, the thumbs up, the kids with their faces pressed to the windows of the car you're passing, etc...