68 Drum Hub

EP429

Jun 30, 2007
Central Texas
Is it just me or does nobody seem to make or stock this piece?
When turning left my driver side tire is making this sound which would be best described as it sounds like its hitting a plastic flap of some sort, no noise straight.
It might also be note-worthy to mention the front end of my car has a bizarre vibration that I can't seem to kill, the steering wheel kinda rumbles back and forth and its driving me nuts :notnice:
Any help/theories would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Is it just me or does nobody seem to make or stock this piece?
When turning left my driver side tire is making this sound which would be best described as it sounds like its hitting a plastic flap of some sort, no noise straight.
It might also be note-worthy to mention the front end of my car has a bizarre vibration that I can't seem to kill, the steering wheel kinda rumbles back and forth and its driving me nuts :notnice:
Any help/theories would be appreciated

You are correct sir, the only hubs available new are 64-66 6, and 64-66 V8. These are more prone to failure due to the smaller size, especially the 6. You'll have to get a used one.

Do you have power steering? Aftermarket wheels?

Wheels are aftermarket (Cragars) no power steering nor brakes. I've already located a wrecked 68 and 69, I'm gonna take a peek at those in the morning.
If I weren't fixing to move I'd make this an excuse to upgrade to disks :D

How is the 68 drum hub different from the 67 ? In 70 they switched to the larger bearing and larger spindle pin right ? Shouldn't the hubs be the same or did they change those as well ? From my understanding you can use 65 hubs on the 70 spindles if you change the bearings/races.

That is not correct. A 65 hub fits a 67 spindle with no modifications, they are the same. They use the same exact bearings and races. In fact, the bearings and races for drums are the same for 65-69.

Again, I'd like to know whats different about the drum hub.

That is not correct. A 65 hub fits a 67 spindle with no modifications, they are the same. They use the same exact bearings and races. In fact, the bearings and races for drums are the same for 65-69.

Again, I'd like to know whats different about the drum hub.

I got to thinking about it, and you are right, all 67-69 had the same bearings, nuts, and seals as the 64-66 V8. Of course the brake shoes and drums were the same. Now I'm wondering what could be different, even a minor difference.