68 Fastback VIN location question

SSSSLLLL

Jan 11, 2006
So most everything I've found says the VIN number is on the doors and the fender. It seems like I've searched everywhere without finding an answer that calms my fears...

I'm about to go look at a 68 Fastback that has been owned by the same guy for the past 10+ years. He's got a build sheet and everything but he says the VIN number is on the base of the dash near the windshield like late model cars. Is that a correct location? The car does not have the original doors and he says that the fender doesn't have a tag either. Should I be worried??? I don't want to drop cash on a car that's not what it is being sold as. He also says he has a title on it too. This will be my first total restoration project so I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not getting screwed from the get go. It's a 5 hour drive to go check it out so I don't want to waste a trip either.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If it's a '68 the correct location for the VIN# is on the passenger side lower corner of the dash, and it's easily visible through the windshield. If the inner fender aprons are original to the car, you will also find it just ahead of the shock towers on top, although you'll need to remove the passenger fender to find it. My '68 had it on both fender aprons. If the paperwork looks fishy or the car desn't have the dash vin# I would pass on it. There's no good reason to remove the tag, and you won't own it for long after the DMV or a cop sees the vin's been tampered with. Good luck!

Thanks! I appreciate the help. This makes me feel a little better about driving all the way over there to look at it.
Most of my fun cars over the years have been late model cars that didn't require total restorations. I figured this time I'd go all out. I just hope it works out!