68 Rear Sway Bar Installation

68xstang

Sep 29, 2010
I purchased the #995 addco 3/4" rear sway bar for my 68 stang. I am pretty sure that the sway bar must be installed behind the rear axle with the arms pointing forward. But I run into some issues.
The bar is slightly too narrow, so that the bushings and u-brackets won't match with the frames.
The bar also collides with my dual exhaust pipes.
And since the arms point forward and go over the rear axle, I cannot use the 1" lowering blocks between the leaf springs and the rear axle, beacuse the bar will collide with the axle. This is because the bar ends are connected to the leaf springs.

Does anyone have this bar installed? I'd appreciate some pictures of the installation and tips on how to overcome the issues i face.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if I have the same bar, it's been so long ago, I forget the brand. However, mine was also intended to mount over the axle and point forward. But since my car is lowered, and has dual exhaust, that wouldn't work, so I mounted it upside-down, under the rear axle, with the bars pointing forward and everything was solved. Since these are typically "universal" rear sway bars, lots of times they require a little fab work to get them in place. I've installed several rear sway bars on various vehicles and not one was actually a direct bolt on, but they were all worth whatever trouble it took to do the install.