6cyl 200 + toploader?

• Sponsors (?)

there is also an adaptor plate for this swap. the fordsix.com site has a link to al's site where you should still be able to get info on where to get the plate as he wont be making them anymore.

D.Hearne said:
Some of the sixes came with the Toploaders both 3 and 4 speeds.

The only 4-speed that was used behind the 200 was a Dagenham up through '66. After '66, you couldn't order a 6-cyl car with a 4-speed. However, starting in 1967, Ford was using the same style 3-speed behind the 200 as was used behind the V8. Therefore, if you have the V8 style 3-speed, then you can just swap it for a 4-speed toploader. If you have something else behind there, then you need to do some other research on it starting with fordsix.com. I know that you can find out more info about it there.

TheAnswerMan said:
The only 4-speed that was used behind the 200 was a Dagenham up through '66. After '66, you couldn't order a 6-cyl car with a 4-speed.
Well you'd better tell David Kee that he's wrong then, cause according to him, there were some Toploader 4 speeds used behind the 200 sixes. And he know's just about more about them than anyone else.You can reach him at 4speedtoploaders.com

if you have either a C4 or a 3spd behind your six, and you want more gears, why not just go with a t-5 swap out of a foxbody? with the price of a 4spd toploader and that adapter plate, it's probably CHEAPER.

You need an adapter plate, crossmember, and shortened driveshaft (how much or even at all is still under debate), and the tranny itself. I really do think that five gears would cost less than 4 in this case. Remember, if you've got a 6, you can use one of the 2.3 foxbody 5 speeds. they're EVERYWHERE.

D.Hearne said:
Well you'd better tell David Kee that he's wrong then, cause according to him, there were some Toploader 4 speeds used behind the 200 sixes. And he know's just about more about them than anyone else.You can reach him at 4speedtoploaders.com

According to my Ford documents, Ford never offered a 4-speed behind the 200 in a Mustang after 1966. Who knows what Ford did with other vehicles. The toploader was a direct replacement to the trannies used in the Mustang behind the 200 from '67 on, but it was not a listed option. It could easily have been special ordered or swapped I'm sure.

However, the 3.03 3-speed Ford began using behind the 200 starting in 1967 had a lower 1st gear ratio than that of its V8 counterpart, even though they looked the same on the outside. I know that there are wide and close ratio toploaders, but they probably aren't/weren't the best choice behind a 200 without a rear gear change and some power adders.

A T-5 is the best choice :D